How do you deal with a whiny toddler? Mine is driving me nuts. "Nooooooo!" "Why???????" *Waaaaaiiiiiiillllllll #ineedmysanityback

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

One way to deal with your child’s whining is to not react to it. Whining is a child’s way of getting attention or a response (be it positive or negative) from you. To change this behavior, you have to be firm and consistent in how to react to his/her whining. 1. Establish the rule and explain to your child that you will not respond if he/she whines. Teach him/her the appropriate way of asking for something (saying please, or using his/her normal voice instead of whining). Explain to your child that you are not able to understand him/her when they are whining. 2. (Here’s the tough part) Whenever your child whines, you have to maintain a neutral face. Your child has to learn that whining will not work in gaining a response from you. 3. Praise your child whenever he/she is able to request for things nicely/did not resort to whining to get something. Positive reinforcements such as praises (“that was a nice way of asking for ___”; “thank you for using your normal voice”) can help the child learn the new behavior 4. Be consistent and keep to the rule. It will take time and it will be tough, but staying consistent is key to helping you stop your child’s whining behavior. I will always remember how when I was younger, my mother will simply walk away whenever I started whining for something (regardless whether we are at home or outside). Every.single.time. On hindsight, it must have been tough on her but it definitely worked. I quickly understood that screaming/whining will not get me what I wanted. Instead, I will be making a fool of myself (especially when we are outside). For more ideas on how to teach your child that whining won’t work, you can check out this article: http://sg.theasianparent.com/trick-your-kid-to-stop-whining/

Read more

Kids are gonna whine all the time when they're bored/tired/doing something they don't like! My 7year old daughter still does it. "Why Mama must I eat my veggies? Why are veggies good for me? What do that do? What if I don't eat my veggies?" and the list goes on and on. After a while I get pretty immuned to it. Like if she whines during dinner, I'll tell her a certain time if she's not done, I'll take away her food and if she gets hungry later, too bad. If she's whiny because she's tired, the most obvious signs are her eyes so I'll get her to go to her room and "reflect". She usually ends up napping and comes out a happy girl. I get a hug and a kiss and she says she was tired so "her brain wasn't listening". If she does a meltdown in public (which is very very rare), we'll drop all plans and go home. She knows this because we cancelled plans to go USS when she was fussing about breakfast. Observe your child. Usually it's for a reason. After a while, you'll naturally come up with "counter" measures whenever your child starts to whine again.

Read more

You can look at whining as a less teary, slightly milder form of crying. Most likely to happen when children are tired, hungry, bored, sick, not getting enough attention, or told "no." Definitely try to stay calm when whining happens. Dont give in, distract the child with something else - like a song or a book. This article has some tips you could try out: http://sg.theasianparent.com/trick-your-kid-to-stop-whining/

Read more

As parents we have different ways of thinking, I read this and found the advice they mention interesting, more if you're a first-timer like https://janabebe.com/es/blog/es-malo-dejar-llorar-al-bebe.html

be calm, talk to the child sternly what you want to be done and thereafter get busy with something else. child will behave appropriately

thanks

By staying calm.