how do you defreeze ur bm to feed ur LO? I packed it and freeze it and whenever my Mil needs to feed my LO, she take it directly from the freezer the amount and 'crash' it to smaller pieces and pour directly into the milk bottle and warm it with the warmer... this is the 1st time I see her did it that way as usually I b at work and wonder if this is the right way? she say is faster but I concern abt the quality and amount.... as all of us know, every drop counts....

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Usually I will leave the frozen bag in a container of water and leave it in the fridge to thaw on its own. And then when my mum needs to feed she just pour it into bottle and warm the bottle up. This way I find it's safer for me because I'm not sure why, some bags may leak. (Maybe I put too much milk in the bag or I accidentally dropped the frozen bag so it cracked?) And I'll know when I see the container water turned cloudy. If urgent I will run the frozen bag under running water and when it's soften abit, "break" it into smaller pieces for faster thawing under the water. Once into smaller pieces to fit into the bottle just dump all inside and warm.

Read more

I usually let it thaw in the normal part of the fridge overnight (in another ziplock bag in case the bag leaks) but if you want to warm it up quickly, you can put the frozen milk in a cup of tap water for 15 minutes and it'll fully thaw out. You can then transfer into your feeding bottle and warm it up. I wouldn't recommend 'crushing' it as it may break down the milk even further and you might lose more nutrients that way. Freezing and thawing already reduces the nutrients in the milk, we don't want to lose even more, as like you said, it's liquid gold.

Read more
8y ago

I understand. May be you could try asking your hubby to talk to her nicely. If not, chill your milk instead of freezing? If you have a lot of frozen stock, just use it to supplement chilled milk by asking your MIL to mix it with chilled EBM so that at lea

VIP Member

I placed it in an airtight container and put in the chiller for thawing. I will usually have a par level of at least 2 packet in the chiller for thawing. Once 1 packet is finished, we will take out another packet from the freezer and thaw. All my milk are labeled with date and time to facilitate first in first out so we won’t be confused which to use first. When baby wants to drink, then pour milk into bottle and then the bottle of milk in hot water to warm up.

Read more

I think when you freeze the milk, it's likely that different parts of it get separated out. If I'm reading this correctly, your MIL is taking only a portion of what's frozen at a time, meaning that during different feeds you'll get different quality of milk. Some might be mostly water, others night be more concentrated. Perhaps you need to change the quantity that you freeze in 1 bag/container, and ask MIL to use whole thing in one feed.

Read more

I do it too, like how your MIL does it. It doesn't affect, i don't see any difference, plus it saves a lot of time. My baby grew up just fine. He's 15months old now. It depends on how comfortable are you on treating your BM like that hahaah!! Some like to defrost it slowly, some like me, like to defrost it like that.

Read more

I’d take out what my baby requires one night before and place in the fridge to thaw. For urgent ones I’ll put the frozen pack into a pot of water in room temperature to thaw. My MIL likes to break it too but I don’t like it because you can’t quite tell how much is left in the frozen pack.

EBM is expressed breast milk right? I expressed during work n chilled and put to freezer once I reached home... so my Mil also put at freezer... at times she will mix same day diff timing ebm (by crashing into small pieces) and put together into bottle

VIP Member

Are you using storage bags or bottles? I use storage bags. So whenever my girl wanna drink, then i take the bag and put it under running water to thaw it. After that then transfer to bottle and heat up

I would crush it into small pieces too..but put into bottle and just let it melt in bottle..if I need it to be warm I would use warm water immerse the bottle in it

I thought this is a very clever idea! But not sure if it will affect the quality of milk though