How can we develop reading habits in children??

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

We have had a daily routine of bedtime stories since they were infants. We also have a lot of different types of books around - the picture books, the very easy reader ones, comics, chapter books, and a variety of genres - poetry, science facts, fairy tales, legends ... When the kids develop an interest, I try to find more books around that topic - whether it is factual, or stories about other kids doing that hobby etc... or yes, the latest Disney movie ... anything to get them reading. when they got a bit older, we now have required reading time after homework and before any screen time is allowed. We also always discuss what we're reading - so it becomes something we interact about and share with each other, separate from the reading experience. My older one is dyslexic so reading was a difficult skill for her to master - but she has always loved books because her first experience was stories read by ME. and for the longest time she would always pick science / geology related books as the information was easier to digest with pictures, diagrams and shorter blocks of text. Then she got into comics like Geronimo Stilton. Now at 11 she's happily reading novels.

Read more

My love for reading stemmed from my mother reading to me as a child and seeing her read whenever she had free time. If you show interest in books, your child might want to emulate that. Alternatively, for future presents (birthday, christmas, celebrations etc), gift your children with books instead of the usual toys. On the weekends, take them to the public libraries to browse and borrow books. Sometimes, the libraries have special events like readings and story telling sessions for kids. Constant exposure to a literary environment and books will help develop reading habits in children.

Read more

You can start reading to them as early as 6 months old as a routine but not all children like to read. It depends solely on them actually. Sometimes if you force them to read, it will make them grow hatred on it unfortunately. You can read them what they like or interesting ones. Since young nobody had read to me even once. I started liking to read when I find that reading is interesting which is about during primary school. I will go to the library myself and asked for books as presents. Till now, I am still reading.

Read more

I love to read to my kids since young and it would be a daily routine before going to bed. They love being read to. Routine and bonding is great. Slowly they will develop reading habits.