Hi! How is frozen BM supposed to taste like? I tried my 'fresh' BM and then frozen BM. The frozen BM tasted metallic, stronger tasting and musky even though it was only 1 week in the freezer :(( My hubby and I are afraid that it is spoilt :'( We thawed in the fridge for about 6 hrs and then warmed it in a warmer. If it is supposed to taste like this, I feel abit heartache to give my LO frozen BM.. Anyone else like this too?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The taste of the milk may change due to the storing process. For example, there may be excess lipase in the milk due to the storing and causes the frozen milk to taste soapy after being thawed. The way to go about this is to scald the express milk first before freezing (you can refer to this blog post on how to scald the milk: http://simplyrebekah.com/2010/05/03/excess-lipase-scalding-breast-milk/). As long as your baby accepts the taste, you need not think too much about it. Some babies would reject frozen breast milk because of the taste difference. So you can try feeding it to your baby to see if your baby has any reaction to it.

Read more

You can leave the breastmilk at room temperature for a few hours to know how spoilt milk taste or smells like. It will be sour. When breastmilk are frozen, it will have lipase which is the strong metallic taste. Some babies are okay with frozen breastmilk and some are not. I have friends who slightly scald the milk before freezing to reduce the lipase. You can also try to thaw it quickly under running water instead of thawing it overnight in the fridge. This way can reduce the strong taste as well.

Read more

What I’m do is. Let my lo to drink the frozen one when she is very hungry and making noise :) Give it a try!

okay thanks guys!