Gardner's model of multiple intelligence seems to be in conflict with the Sternberg's triarchic model adopted by the Ministry of Education in Singapore. What benefits would children have if they are enrolled in preschools that focus on developing the multiple intelligence since the nation's focus is generally on developing those with intellectual giftedness?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

This is just my personal take. I feel that Gardner's multiple intelligence offered a great way of developing a child that takes the focus away from simply looking at one's academic performance. It was precisely when he noticed that people with special needs are gifted in other areas which prompted him to explore this notion of multiple intelligence (if I'm not mistaken). I would say that every model has it's pros and cons and all aim to benefit the child. Enrolling in a preschool that adopts the Multiple Intelligence approach may increase the exposure to more areas for development. This may help discover other areas that the child could excel in, beyond what is identified by the education system.

Read more