Kkh subsidized birth & ward experience

Hi ftm here i still havent decide if i want to stick to kkh subsidized to save money or change to private so i can get A1 ward(mainly cause i want my husband to stayover, but also scared the bill will be too expensive) Can mummies share your experience giving birth @ kkh under subsidized and how was the hospital stay/ward? Is the ward air conditioned? Is it noisy? And can husband be with us after delivery when we are pushed to our ward? For normal with no complication, we would need to stay 1 or 2 nights there ? #firsttimemom

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Just tell you save all those money and go for subsidised. I was so impressed by the team of midwives and docs, they followed everything written in my birth plan. I had a total of 3 pages! I was treated with utmost respect no different from a VIP while in the delivery suite. My husband who is a China national was so shock that he could stay in the suite and the nurses treated him so politely, it was entirely the opposite in China when his sister gave birth. Anyway I only stayed one night in a B1 ward and I was discharged next day in the afternoon so makes no difference if I was staying in a private A ward I still had to stay up all night to breastfeed the baby with my colostrum. My milk haven’t even came in. She was crying the whole night hungry for milk. i had to try BFing her every 2 hours, the nurse will always come in to check. if my husband was with me it will be useless anyway. What could he do?

Read more
10mo ago

Overall I m quite happy with KKH service (ward A1). The nurses and doctors were very polite and helpful. The process was systematic too. I can’t compare cos I m FTM. 😁 that was my only experience

I was a subsidized patient until week 32. I switched to private in week 32 and went for 3 private appointments before giving birth (in Jan 2023). You can see my total bill (antenatal included) posted here: https://community.theasianparent.com/q/im-thinking-changing-private-gynae-at-kkh-3rd-trim-currently-still-under-subs/4742422?d=ios&ct=q&share=true Yes I changed to private because I wanted my hubby to accompany me. Mine was induced labour (took 34.5 hours in total) and I stayed for 3D2N. If I recall correctly I paid $3+k in cash after Medisave. I think if natural and staying for 2D1N, the bill is cheaper.

Read more

For my first born was all under subsidise, i would say subsidise is still ok not as bad just that u would share ur room with many ppl bc is 6 bedded room & without aircon just fan but is still cooling not hot or humid at all , and is all open area meaning u will hear other ppl’s baby cry etc … But overall is ok for me base on my experience nurses there are nice ;)

Read more

For me I went private KKH for same reason that I want A1 ward and my husband to stay over. I had to pay slightly less than 3.5K for it (this is after Medisave deduction). So it is quite a bit of money but it was worth it as I had private care in a private room. U can stay 1 night only if u feel u are ready enough to go. I stayed for 2 nights to maximise the stay

Read more

i have yet to give birth...but decided to go for subsidized ward ...spoke to nurse she said its easy to upgrade, but difficult to downgrade ( frm private back to subsidized)....so encourage me to stay at subsidized patient in case baby come out need medical attn, all will be subsidized rate

If you are warded at night, it gets a little bit too quiet.. on the first night, i had ecsect and husband had to settle things and was only to come by the next day. But during the day, fantastic. Food is good, nurses are great and helpful. I enjoyed the privacy.

A1 ward you get your own privacy. husband can stay over. nurses are great. food is good. you get your own toilet and can adjust the aircon temperature anytime 🤭

air-conditioned but outside the room in the ward is noisy. for my experience