How to use breastpump

FTM here, i have yet to deliver. Ive bought both manual (medela) and electric wearable breastpump. However am still not exactly sure the right way to use it. I read its advisable to use the Massage mode first to stimulate milk or a let down then followed by expression mode. However in the situation whereby we need to pump at office or outside, when using massage mode first, how do we know theres already a let down ? Since we wont really be able to see the cup from top view as its covered by the motor. Will we feel milk coming out or something ? Sorry if its a stupid question. #FTM

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

start pumping at home first. trust me once you start the pumping process at home, you automatically will know when there is letdown already. the feeling, the spray from the milk onto the collector, and the volume pumped out. comes with practice. once outside you will already know. you might not even follow what’s advised because your own process is learned through trial and error and you will learn what works best to get the highest yield. don’t worry so much.

Read more
1y ago

Thanks alot !!

Hey Babe. Don’t worry so much. This comes with practice. In the hospital the Lactation consultant will teach you how to use breast pump (preferably electric one) and then when you practice at home, all your doubts will be cleared don’t worry at all

1y ago

Thank you!