What is cotton ball used for newborn ?

Hi hi FTM here, i already started buying baby stuff and wonder what does cotton ball used for ? Is it to dampen and wipe baby lightly after pee/poo and also to wipe face ? Usually how do you clean baby after pee/poo? Just wet tissue ? #advicepls #FTM

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

May I suggest that for diaper change (especially after pooping), please wash with water. newborn skin is very soft and they poo multiple times a day. wet wipes might cause abrasions when used multiple times especially to clean thoroughly. my boy is 3 yrs old now and has never experienced diaper rash/ red skin/ abrasion even when he has diarrhoea. it's very painful for them and I've seen it happen multiple times (have more than 10 nieces and nephews).

Read more
11mo ago

on a side note, cotton ball soaked with water works as well but it's messy as hell

hello! you can just use wet tissue to clean up or use dampened cotton balls - i personally find tt using cotton balls is more gentle on my baby's skin especially when her skin is a tad bit on the sensitive side. alternatively, you can use no rinse cleansing water as well

I used dampen cotton balls to clean baby’s eyes/nose/lips and ear area as the skin is more delicate. My baby had quite a bit of eye discharge in the first few weeks. This is good for that!

I use it to wipe the face, behind the ears, folds under her neck, armpits and bum bum (good for cleaning hidden 💩)

Cotton ball mainly to clean baby's eyes using boiled cooled water. For bottoms, we used wet wipes.

sterile cotton ball to dampen and clean the eyes and umbilical cord. wet wipes for pee and poo.

to wipe area around umbilical cord. we just use wet tissue for pee/poo.

I used sterilise cotton ball to wipe their eyes during bath time