How to lose weight during pregnancy?

Hi all, first time mum here! I’m only going 5 weeks pregnant. Am overweight with quite abit of tummy fats. Can I know how mummies here lose weight/tummy fats to stay healthier for your baby? Other than diet, any exercise good and safe to be done? Thanks in advance! #advicepls #pregnancy

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You shouldn’t attempt to lose weight while pregnant. If you do lose weight due to morning sickness, then that’s different. But never, never attempt to lose weight. It is very dangerous for you and your baby. I was already 100kg before I got pregnant and in my 1st trimester I lost 7kg cause I can’t take white rice. I gained my weight back again gradually like 0.5-1kg every time I went for my appt which was monthly. I’m in my 3rd trimester and I am now 100kg or probably slightly more already. Yeah worried sure, but I will have to work harder to lose all these weight after I give birth by exclusively breastfeeding (they say you can lose a lot of weight through BF) and eat smaller meal portions. I do not have time for exercise even before I was pregnant so I doubt I will have time after. But I will have to make sure I get myself out and about every chance I get when my mother is taking over looking after my baby. Maybe 1hr walk to that dreadful hill few blks away from mine. I mean anything that keeps my heart rate pumping and sweat it all out. As of right now, I am not worried about my weight gain as long as baby is healthy. Just Ensure you take meals in smaller portion multiple times a day instead of bigger meals at one go. Avoid carbs 4hrs before bedtime. Don’t lie down after meals. Drink plenty of water during the day say, 3L or 10-12 glasses hourly. Avoid sugar if you can. It’s the root of most weight problems. You’ll have your Glucose Test when you’re about 25 weeks and they’ll test your sugar level so better make sure you are strict on sugar throughout your whole pregnancy and even after otherwise you can be diagnosed with diabetes which might not go away after birth. This is how I scare myself, lol. Other than that, enjoy your journey cause it’ll be over before you know it. Good luck!

Read more