How to lose weight during pregnancy?

Hi all, first time mum here! I’m only going 5 weeks pregnant. Am overweight with quite abit of tummy fats. Can I know how mummies here lose weight/tummy fats to stay healthier for your baby? Other than diet, any exercise good and safe to be done? Thanks in advance! #advicepls #pregnancy

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This is not a good time to limit your nutrition intake. But for the sake of reducing your chance of getting Gestational Diabetes or other complications which has higher chance to get when you’re overweight, you can try Low GI diet. The key is to eat everything Low GI but not to starve yourself. You are free to eat what you want as long as it does not contain sugar or at least Low GI. Fructose is fine, but only limited to certain Low GI fruits such as berries, Kiwi, Apple. For the carbs, you can only take Korean buckwheat noodle, Japanese soba (also made of buckwheat), brown rice, wholemeal pasta, multigrain/wholemeal bread (gardenia wholemeal Low GI is great). For the spread you can’t take any commercial jam, unless it’s keto jam. If it’s hard to get keto jam, you can have bread with butter and cheese. Also, watch the nutrition facts label on juices and jams, most of them put “no added sugar” on the label but if you compare the sugar contents it’s actually a lot more compare to normal juice/jam without the “no added sugar” label. I skipped on all supermarket juice. No restriction on meat, so continue to eat high DHA food and protein. For veggie, potato is a big no. You can’t eat anything that grows under soil except for steamed sweet potato. Do not bake/fry your sweet potato as it will caramelised and increase the glycemic index. The rest of veggies are fine. For exercise you can do pregnancy yoga/walk, especially after you had big meal. However it’s not going to significantly burn your fat as it’s low impact. I had rapid weight gain during end of 1str trimester to 2nd trimester (3-4 kg/ mth) and was advised by my gynae to do Low GI diet. I’m still taking Low GI sweetener but my gynae is very strict and does not advise any sweetener as some sweetener might not be Low GI. in total I gained 10 kg from my first to third trimester. I had been encouraged to do this diet when ending my 1st trimester (due to rapid weight gain), however din really stick on it until I was diagnosed with GD somewhere on my 2nd trimester. Don’t repeat my mistake. Good luck on your pregnancy! Ps: If eating brown rice is too much for you and you’re not having GD yet, you can replace the brown rice with basmati rice or mix of basmati rice and thai Hom mali rice (ratio 1:1)

Read more