Post pregnancy arguments

Hi all, first time dad here. Lately me and my wife has been arguing a lot lately. She has been this way since our daughter was born. I understand that she's going through a really hard time right now, breastfeeding a growing baby with everchanging needs. Bear in mind we have no maid/anyone helping out. Maybe due to being a first time mum too that she's so stressed, but I'm really unsure if it's the post partum stress..or just her. I'm already considering going family counselling or something, as I'm on the edge. One of the examples of our unnecessary arguments is: I got home from work slightly later due to traffic, and get mocked at for being home late? Really? I'm also doing my best as a husband to support her, but it seems it's never enough. I'm really frustrated, been trying to get her to sit down and discuss but she's more caught up with taking care of our baby instead. Can someone#advicepls ? Hoping to get a good answer and clear my head.

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

she must be feeling very overwhelmed during the day when you’re at work and needed your help asap end of the day. It’s not fair on you to be mocked because of traffic! but if you can decipher the reason behind her “mocking”, it’s a desperate call for your attention. it’s not a nice way to do it for sure but you can try asking her “how can i help”, then slowly get her to open up in between chores/tasks. no need to purposefully sit down and have a talk since it doesn’t work on her. as a new mum i can tell you the physical, hormonal and emotional challenges are indeed real. not everyone can manage it well. feeling like an inadequate mum most times, hating your own body, managing baby’s needs and neglecting her own. she’s probably acting like this because her needs are not met. it’s not easy, try not to take her acting out to heart… she needs you. but i’m heartened to see that there are more loving and supportive dads now, you’re doing great!!! 💪🏻💪🏻 hang in there and congrats on the little girl!

Read more