Sign of autism in baby

Fellow parents, is it true that autism is hereditary? At what age can its characteristics be seen in babies, and what are they like... I'm a bit worried, my baby doesn't like to make eye contact when I talk to him is that normal?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

U can Google YouTube videos on autism signs in babies but pls take it with a pinch of salt because autism can only be diagnosed at ard 2-3 years old. You will need to monitor baby's milestones. If he/she doesnt meet alot of his/her milestones within the first year, then u can talk to your PD or seek professional help from the relevant experts. Anw different babies may develop at different pace so pls don't worry too much for now esp if your baby is less than 9 months old. I used to be in your shoes when my boy hardly speaks even when his motor skills were advanced. He started walking unassisted at 8+ months but even at 1.5 years old he wasn't even talking so I was kanchiong thinking tt's one of the signs of autism. Moreover he also was very fussy with food and had texture aversion cz he didn't even want to touch soft, gooey things. So I went to KKH but after assessing, he's not autistic, just a slight delay in speech. Fast forward 1 year later, he cldnt stop talking.

Read more

hi mummy! im a special needs educator. yes, autism is strictly a hereditary condition. In many countries, autism can only be diagnosed at 3 years old because it takes time for certain skills such as eye contact to develop. how old is your baby now? you may want to speak to a paediatrician or a medical staff during your baby's next developmental check-up. it could be slower development, and letting a medical staff know may help direct you to resources that can provide support such as occupational therapy to work on these skills if it is not yet showing.

Read more