20 weeks ultrasound and sonographer

Hi everyone! I went day before yesterday for my 20 weeks ultrasound in kkh. Since its my first pregnancy, I'm a bit nervous as the sonographer did not reveal anything about the baby's development. I asked her two/ three times after completing the ultrasound about the baby if everything was normal. She said I can ask about it only to my gynae on my next appointment. The only thing she told me was the baby's gender. Is it normal for the sonographers to be tight lipped about information on baby's development? #1stimemom #advicepls

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

kkh sonographer usually will not tell you anything when you ask a very general question. I went to both KKH and TMC, tmc one.. the sonographer shared alot more but they cant tell you the "diagnosis", they can only tell you what they see.. such as my baby was seen with echogenic bowel at 20th week, so with my subsequent followup I have to ask more specifically such as " is the baby still having echogenic bowel?" then they will tell you (yes or no) apply to both kkh and tmc. so if you ask like "how's the baby development?" is hard for them to tell you. but anyway, if you are not asked to do a 2nd time scan and see doctor, your scan result should be fine.

Read more
3y ago

Thank you for taking the time to reply me everyone. I went for my appointment and as you all said everything was okay with the baby👍 Thank you all once again!

Yes and the gynae will be best positioned to tell you about any findings/report. If you are really curious, you could look at the report and read ahead for any red flags or special remarks. Note again, the best interpretation of the report still comes from the gynae. Dont worry too much!

Yup dun stress yourself. If there’s anything u’ll likely be asked to see the panel doc right after your scan. They dun reveal much so as not to cause confusion so better let your gynae tell u. Should be good so dun worry

my last pregnancy they did tell me abit baby at ard 19 weeks. Dont worry urself usually if they notice anything abnormal you would be informed to see doctor.

i think it’s normal cox for every visit they are always tight lipped and say next visit ur gynae will tell u more

VIP Member

yes normal, only the gynae will advise you

yes. only gynae can advise.