Ever since my pregnancy, I find that I am unable to do squats. When I squat, the back of my right knee hurts. I went to the chinese physician for a message and the problem remains. Should I get a x-ray done?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I suffered from knee injuries because of my volleyball days in secondary schools. Before pregnancy, my knee would "crack" each time I squat, or bend my knees. It doesn't hurt but definitely felt a lot better after popping it. After pregnancy, I guess the weight that I had on me while I was pregnant had aggrivated my knees further so even after popping my baby out, it still hurts. What helps was to do half squats while using a chair (with a high backrest) to support yourself. I did this, a few at a time and went slower and slower as far as I dared. Be careful not to lean over too much as you go up/down as this would imbalance you. My knees are better now, and I still do it regularly. Squats help to keep you butt in shape

Read more

I think you can consider going to a physiotherapist instead. It could be that your knees sustained some injury from the increased weight during your pregnancy. A physiotherapist will be able to suggest strengthening exercises to help strengthen your quads and hamstrings so that there is less work for your knee. For now, be careful when you are bending or squatting. When you squat, try to check that your knees are not over your toes (this position will put more weight on your knees). Always pretend that you are sitting down into a chair (so that your butt will be leading the squatting motion). Hope this helps!

Read more

thanks