Chest x-ray at 22w pregnant

I have a medical exam coming up and they require me to do a chest x-ray. I will be 22w pregnant at the time of exam and the clinic assured me that protection will be given. Is it safe enough for the baby? Have any moms done an x-ray while they're pregnant? I'm so worried that it could affect my first baby. Tia #firstbaby #pleasehelp #1stimemom

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Since u are feeling worried, will it be possible to not proceed with the X-ray at this stage? Can postpone the X-ray to after confinement? Especially if there is no urgency for this medical examination. Another way is to speak to your Gynae and seek advice on whether such protection offered by your doctor is sufficient. I am very risk adverse so I would avoid going for the X-ray altogether until I deliver - that’s my personal view.

Read more

If it’s me, I would err at the side of caution and avoid any X ray. Having said that, there shouldn’t be any side effects so long protection is given. In the earlier days my mother has to take xray of my elder brother to check on his fetal progress during pregnancy. Because they didn’t have ultrasound technology then. My brother is still alive and kicking today (40 years old)

Read more

Firstly, what is the reason for them getting you to do X-ray? If is not life threatening, I strongly against you to do as they can’t assured that the radiation will not get into baby. Otherwise why would clinic and X-ray centres always ask if you are pregnant before doing one? Hope you are well mummy!

Read more

I shall skip the xray part. I went once for chest xray and they asked me if I'm pregnant and tell me if yes i was not allowed to take cause it can harm the baby. That point of time I'm not. I don't want to take any risk too. Best to consult your gynae again for a better advise and peace of mind ❤️

I work in a radiology centre. Unless for emergency reasons only advised to do x-ray provided approved by your gynae.. If not just the radiology centre has no rights or against their protocol to do an x-ray/CT/ and even MRI for someone who is pregnant.

update: I can't defer the x-ray exam because it's for my immigrant visa application. I've consulted with my gynae and she said the amount of radiation is not enough to cause harm to the fetus esp with protection.

1y ago

sorry for the late reply, I did go ahead and took the x-ray exam. my baby is born fine and healthy

let them know you're pregnant. they will most prob postpone or reschedule it. I had a medical check up previously and they didn't do xray for me after knowing I'm pregnant

I used to work part time in a gp clinic and generally pregnant ladies aren't encouraged to do a chest X ray.

VIP Member

Do the rest of the medical examination except the x-ray.

X-ray is a big no-no for pregnant ladies?