In-laws

Does anyone have issues with parents-in-law? My LO (currently 5 months old) is taken care by my MIL when me and hubby is at work. My MIL used to be a babysitter so she’s quite good at babies. However, she got her own set of pantangs and way of educating the child, which is very different from me. I don’t believe in pantangs at all. She doesn’t believe in what We say when we explain to her. For example, there was once baby did not poo for a week, she got so ganchiong and kept calling over the weekend telling us to try this try that. We already explained to her nicely that this is normal for BF babies but her mindset is stuck with need to poo Everyday blablabla. This is just one example. Another example is, she kept saying baby should start on solids now. Me and my husband’s take is to follow baby’s cues, we don’t have a definite to start solids at 4 months or 6 months. We did try a little puree but feel that baby is not yet ready for it. But MIL keep saying that should start alr. So irritating? Sometimes, this really irritates me and I want to send my baby to infant care instead. Is like, why must I explain what I’m doing to her and why she keep giving suggestions that I don’t want to hear. I have my own style in doing things and parenting. But my hubby refuses as infant care is expensive and he thinks it’ll be better for baby to be under grandma’s care. I do agree with him but I think it’s only for my sanity. ? Does anyone has similar experience?

126 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was in the same situation.. Initially I trusted my mil to take care if my kids as she had been baby sitter before.. Initial stage she showered them n feeds them.. at one point she gave lil water n told it would be good for their stomach but after that I realised u shouldn't be giving water to infant till 6mths and I told her to stop. and the kids private parts had dirts if she showered them and it got me more worried. she always kept the babies to herself during the day and I only get to spend time at night where they will be asleep and I will be tired. To cut short I felt I didn't have the bond with them do I started to take charge of everything. she was hesitant to leave my children alone with me and she would only leave them if there is someone with me. so after I took charge of my babies she felt upset and cried to my hubby.. i was like baffled because I din even utter any words to her. I thought as a mother she would understand that I would want to spend time with my kids but she didn't. She left to her house and I felt so happy as I get my privacy moments with my kids. After my maternity hubby n me planned to send kids to mil hse for her to tc but I changed my mind. I wouldn't know wat she would do as she oso have her own pantangs. so I took helper which gave me peace of mind.. had to convince my hubby. Helper will follow ur instructions as per told but mil won't. I always ask my helper to keep an eye if she visit my kids when I'm not around. I can monitor my helper as I have installed cameras. My mil respects my decision. I told her let me tc of my kids so now she doesn't say much. she doesn't interfere with my decisions regarding the kids coz she knows I won't give 2 cents about it. so just get a helper. yes it's abit costly but u need that peace of mind. My mil thought I will just throw my babies to her and sit one corner but too bad I developed so much affection on kids and I want to everything myself.. my babies my rule.. stick to this.

Read more