Baby refusing breastmilk

Did not have any breastmilk for first 4 days and baby was at risk of jaudice coz no intake. So we started giving formula milk. Now that BM has kicked in, we wanted feed baby BM together with FM (coz BM amount still very low) but baby is rejecting the BM (cries when we feed BM), so we mixed BM and FM. After an hour of feeding, baby kept crying... how to get baby to go back to BM and away from FM? Would like to exclusively feed BM after amount is huge enough to support full BF.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

firstly, baby takes time to learn how to latch. unlike bottle teats which are easier for them. otherwise they have to reach out their neck and suck harder etc. its stressful for them too esp if they're hungry. so I'd suggest latch the baby maybe 15 min or 30mins before their scheduled feeding. its very hard esp if you're a first time mom. or else can buy some teat cover or something from shoppee if I'm not wrong to put it on your boobs. you can try different latching positions when baby is not that hungry so u can find a comfortable spot for yourself too. if still cannot then can try mix feeding. means certain timing give formula then certain timing bf. at least u and baby not so stress. lastly, as much as all mommies want to give BM, trust me nothing is more impt than a happier mom and leads to happy baby. FM works well too. A well fed baby is the most impt for their overall well being ;)

Read more
6mo ago

yes, ultimate aim is as long as baby is healthy and well fed. have been pumping and mixing with FM for feedings... yet to practice latching coz currently focusing on getting baby well dehydrated to rid of jaundice. just have to get past this hurdle before finding ways to get baby to latch.

Give them some time to get used to everything. They are still getting used to the world and everything. If you put yourself in their shoes, even different milk taste, temperature and texture is also something new and peculiar to them. When you say BM is it expressed or latched? If latch and cry could be position not comfy or right. Or baby simply need to get used to latching and tongue/swallow action. If you r talking abt expressed BM that’s bottled fed that she is rejecting, then try diff ways. It’s all trial and error. Play with the temperature, amount, etc. also check if her tongue may have any issue (could be tongue tie? Can Google it) when difficult feeding persist despite all that’s done right. Worst case scenario find a lactation consultant. Some money is worth paying especially you’re at the start of the feeding journey, good to start early

Read more
6mo ago

expressed BM... baby now knows that he had been sucking air for first 2 days of his life and realised the power of FM so he is upset if i latch and nothing comes out for him... but even when feeding expressed BM, baby also dont like the taste and will cry.. so we have to mix both BM and FM when feeding using syringe.

feed whatever the baby wants. FM is good too.

TapFluencer

🙏💕