5.5 weeks

Dear mummies, I am 5.5 weeks pregnant now. I called up for a gyne appointment, but the nurse told me is too early to see the doctor. Instead, she asks me to wait until 7 weeks. Is this true that I'm too early? I am a bit worry because I don't have any guidance for now, like how to deal with nausea, any supplement I should take, etc. Is there anything I should caution or take note of until I meet him?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes way too early. You may never get to see your fetal just yet as it's way too small to be seen on the ultrasound. But if you want to base your pregnancy on your LMP it may not be accurate. You could also be later than 5.5 weeks. BEST time to do an ultrasound is 8 weeks & above. For now take folic acid only. Can buy at pharmacies. Don't take any other supplements until you've seen a gynae cos not all supplements are suitable as our needs are different from others. For nausea there's actually nothing much you can do. Just eat bland foods and drink as much as you else you'll be dehydrated. You may want to get yourself an anti sea-sick band at the Guardian/Watson. Atleast it does help me with my bad morning sickness. Rest as much as you can in the early trimester. Never lift or push anything heavy.

Read more
3y ago

Thank you so much for your advise. really appreciate a lot 😊

Got my same day appt at Early Preg clinic @kkh coz I was spotting at 4wks++ I don’t know what to expect either. Cant tell if it was spotting or discharges. So I walked right in the urgent O&G department. Did my both scan. Can only see a sac. But can’t determine if it’s safely in the uterus on not coz far too early. So they put me on progesterone to help support the pregnancy. My next appt at 5weeks to see if there’s progress .

Read more
3y ago

Thank you for sharing, I shall wait then. 😊

Firstly congratulations!!!!! I actually visited my gynae at 5 weeks and they took so long detailed scan twice to chcek if it's ectopic pregnancy or something but actually it was just too early and empty sac at that time so I waited a few more weeks to to confirm. so don't worry you'll be fine mummy!! Take folic acid daily. If you experience nausea try to eat watermelon, it actually helped a bit for me.

Read more
3y ago

Thank you so much for your advise, really appreciate a lot 😊

Congratulations! I only booked my appointment with NUH at 8 weeks as it was hard to get appointment during circuit breaker last year. Since I had nausea and vomiting, I visited a clinic nearby at 5 weeks (Thomson Medical Women’s clinic) to help confirm my pregnancy. Took a scan at the clinic (nothing can be seen) but can only hear heartbeat, then doctor gave folic acid and other medications.

Read more
3y ago

Thanks Afiqah for the advise 😀

Hi babe! Congrats to you!! I totally know what you mean and how you feel because I’m also 5 weeks pregnant now! ✋🏼 The nurse also told me it is too early to see the doctor and she scheduled mine at the 8th week. 😅 I’ve been also taking folic acid daily too! Since everyone said it helps. My only concern now is… I don’t experience any nausea… yet. Have you?

Read more
3y ago

Oh no! Your symptoms are quite similar to my sister’s ones. Please take care of yourself okay? 🙆🏻‍♀️🙆🏻‍♀️ My sister had to call in to KKH and asked for medication for the nausea because she could not eat at all.

got a referral letter from polyclinic to kkh. went for ultrasound at week 6 but still too earlier and had to do a transvaginal ultrasound. even den it's still too early and they only saw a empty sac. so had to wait till week 10 to redo the ultrasound. I can understand how you feel. but can only be patient now. =)

Read more
3y ago

wish you all the best. don't be like me. I had it till 8mth

Congrats!! Yes, still too early as I only scheduled my first scan on week 8 where I’m able to see baby and hear heartbeat. However, if you have any spotting or bleeding before that then you should contact the gynae and ask for advise. Folic acid is enough during first trimester, please take daily!

Read more
3y ago

Thank you so much for your advise 😊

Yea I only see the doctor from week7/8 onwards too! Just start taking folic acid while waiting and avoid raw food. You can call the clinic again to check on what else to take note and do till your appointment comes :)

3y ago

Thank you for your advise, appreciate a lot 😊

I was given an appt to do my first antenatal scan at 6 weeks. at 6 weeks, it's usually too early to see much although for some the heart can be detected.

3y ago

Thank you for your advise 🙂