Breastfeed

Hi all! Just curious, will the gynae or hospital teach you how to breast feed/how to use a breast pump etc? How to know what kind of breast pump to buy? #1stimemom #pregnancy

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, you can just ask for help frm the nurses, even at private hospitals too. I was at Parkway East and sis was at Mount E, the nurses were very helpful. They'll teach u how to get a good latch and suggest positions best for the mom. Just be prepared to be touched many times 😅 It was sth very foreign for me to have strangers touching my boobs but u'll get used to it soon. For pump, I don't think they'll teach you. I've heard of some hospitals allowing u to bring and nurses may help to see if u have the right flange size but im not sure if now there is any tt wld still do tt. At Parkway East, I was told not to bring due to Covid hygiene issue. For pump, Spectra S1 is a great pump and I swear by it! Very good suction and easy to use. As FTM I initially just bought an Avent cz it was on sale but I cld only get 50ml with it and thought I had supply problems. But my masseuse suggested to get Spectra and only then I cld get at least 150ml. And what I like most abt Spectra is tt I can buy different flange size as the standard one is too big for my nipp. You can try googling for reviews. Another pump tt's worth the buy is Baby Buddha if u want sth small and light but has equally good suction. Can use with Sectra flange too. I bought it for pumping at work so tt I don't have to lug ard the big Spectra pump.

Read more
VIP Member

Delivered in Raffles, they have fantastic team of nurses to guide you for breastfeeding and latching. Lactation consultant will also guide you if you have trouble latching the LO. For breast pump, I am currently using Medela.

If it is KKH, SGH and NUH, they will teach you how to breastfeed; for private I’m not sure. As for the breast pump I think Spectra or Madela are all good.

VIP Member

Mine at TMC, the lactation nurse visit me the next day and teach me the latch method. You can seek advice on pump I believe.

Yes, its done by the nursing team (:

breastfeed yes, pump don't think so