For chinese parents, would u send ur child to english or chinese enrichment class first and why?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i send my elder gal for chinese enrichment as she refuse to speak mandarin. she is stronger in english so i never bring her for any classes. she went for tien hsia when she was 3.5yo. it was amazing that she learn a lot from there. its more like a speech and drama class to me as they do performance every end term. it help to build up her confidence in front of the audience. now she is already in k2, her chinese seem better.

Read more

I send my boy to Chinese enrichment since early n2. From my understanding and experience, Chinese is much more difficult to learn as compared to English. I started my boy on phonics classes later part of K1. You might want to consider bringing ur child for a trial class to see if he/she likes it or not. My boy is currently in berries for Chinese enrichment.

Read more
VIP Member

most probably chinese. Because nowadays many are english speaker and as a chinese parents , we cant really speak good chinese and its a little shame on us. So will actually send them to chinese class . But if its a chinese speaker family , i will send my child for english class. It also had to be depends on the environment he or she is in.

Read more

Both together. Actually according to studies, start both language together will be easier for them to cope with languages especially in mandarin. To me both languages are equally important so I send my gal to both. At home will speak both languages plus dialects. Now at 4, she is well versed in English, mandarin and Cantonese.

Read more

I believe there's no standard answer to your question. It depends on the environment your child is exposed to and his/her comfort level with each language. That will determine which is a better option for him/her.