My 8month old baby is about 7.3kg n her height is 69cm.. is it unhealthy?

My baby just turned 8mth old.. she is about 7.3kg n height is 69cm.. Thou doc said baby is of healthy weight, people around us are claiming baby is very small n look fragile.. Need to handle with extra care.. I can't be force feeding baby just because of what others are saying this.. And I don't know what else to do about this.. Just feeling very hurt by this.. #firsttimemom

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As long as baby is healthy, active and happy, don’t worry too much. As a mum, when we receive such comments, we tend to put the blame on ourselves like where did we do wrongly? Did we underfeed the baby? Especially when you’re the main caregiver and people just ask you “Why is she so skinny, why is she so short?” If I can control, she will be the next ms universe alr la, still got chance let you say? Ignore those people who can’t keep their comments and mouth shut. There are so many more things to stress on rather than waste your time to get upset over these (which they probably don’t remember). My baby is 12.5mo, 9kg and 71cm. Weight is in the normal range, but always shorter than average. First thing people see her, they will either go “why she no hair?” or “4/5/6 months ah?”, initially I will feel affected… But now when people comment I’ll just say ya la she short and small idk why also. If they start commenting further I’ll just tell them, aiya healthy can liao la then I’ll just walk off. You can only tell yourself to not get affected. You cannot stop what others gonna say. There will be 1, 2, 3 and even 100s of kpos… Imagine how busy you gonna get being affected by them right? 😊

Read more

hello my 14 month girl is 7.8kg le , small and light weight .. your baby will probably weigh more than mine in few months time .. so don't worry .. doctor told me that "she need to add abit of weight as she's supposed to be eating 3 times a day " " has she been eating meat , veggies , rice " " try to less feed milk , let her eat more " omg the comments really .. my girl is active , healthy it's good right . she was born at 37weeks 2.1kg , doc says she's doing well . growth is slightly slower then normal big kids and it's pretty normal to catch up .. no you don't have force feeding your baby , i used to have the same thoughts ! im like wa .. other babies are so cute so chubby confirm healthy one .. then i realise I'm small build so my girl has my genes .. easy to carry , easy to bully 🤣 im also a first time mom too , learnt alot from my mom , other mummies we shared experience..

Read more

hii! i can totally relate to this, my girl was 10kg when she turned 1 and everyone was asking me why was she so 'small'. i was worried too at first, but her doc was kind enough to assure me that shes of a healthy weight. she has a good appetite, and is a very active toddler. i think as long as her doc doesnt raise any concerns, dont worry too much abt her weight. its normal to b affected by what ppl say sometimes, but dont b too hard on yrself mummy! im sure youre doing the best that you can for yr baby ❤️

Read more

Everyone's baby is beautiful in their own ways , regardless of their size & months . whats important is that every each of them are healthy . I used to get so affected by the comments towards my daughter, than i realise . I'm originally small size so she probably follow me too and every checkup , the doc always reminds me to "bypass what they said , as long as they're doing fine , they're eating well , they're healthy." *hugs to you*

Read more

Dont worry about what others is saying! As long as doc says your baby is healthy, thats all that matters. My baby is also small compared to his cousins but he is healthy, according to doctor. People keep commenting how small my bump were when i was conceiving but when i gave birth, baby was big weighing at 3.2kg! People will always talk, just ignore them!

Read more

My baby was 7.5kg at 16months. Definitely at the low side so pediatrician suggested adding glucose powder to her milk. She is smart, an advanced talker and generally healthy despite her low weight. Now at 22months, she is only 8.6kg but already at the 3 percentile so it’s an achievement for us. Don’t worry too much, your baby is perfectly healthy.

Read more

dont worry. people will always have things to say. Overweight "its unhealthy" Underweight ,"Why never feed properly" Just the right weight "why not try to feed this this this" therefore let them run their mouth. babies will eventually grow. just do your best, and let them take their journey at their own pace.

Read more

Nahhh, try not to worry too much. My LO is also a petite active baby - 15months at about 8.6kg. Took some time for me to be unaffected by those "standards" in the books or what others have of them, but you do you!

I feel that as long as baby is healthy and has no concern from the doctor side , it should be fine . Just continue what u have been doing and try to not focus on others comments which might hurt u .

VIP Member

Hi, my 8mth old baby girl is almost 9kg, 74cm but dad is on the tall side. So I think partly it’s genetics.. If she’s eating well, active & healthy.. jz let it be