My baby has suddenly stopped feeding. He is just 3 months old and is refusing to latch on. This has been going on for two days now. I am literally forcing him to latch on. What should I do?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hey mommy, I think your baby is on a breastfeeding strike. In fact, it is a real term for those babies who otherwise breastfeed well, but suddenly refuse to feed. The situation typically goes on for 3 to 4 days. Here are a few possible reasons why your baby is refusing to feed: 1. your baby may have suddenly forgotten how to do it and is finding it difficult to latch on. 2. if your baby is experiencing reflux, it could cause problems with feeding. 3. in case of a cough or cold, your baby will find it difficult to feed. 4. if your baby was having trouble latching, he may have stopped out of frustration. 5. if there has been a change in routine, such as moving to a new place, guests in the house or feeding in a new room. Try to get your baby back to breastfeeding by doing the following: 1. watch out for your baby's hunger signs and gently try to help with latching on. 2. create a lot of skin to skin contact during feeding time or when you are trying. 3. hold your baby in your arms more often, or place your baby in a body sling, to give warmth and keep your baby near the breast. 4. try different feeding positions to see if it helps. Try reading this informative article that will answer a lot of your queries https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/breast-refusal

Read more