My baby was just born one week ago. Before he was born I had always wanted two children. But now, I am seriously thinking I can't handle going through raising a newborn again. I am also scared to have only one child. Help! Really depressed.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi dear I feel you totally. My gal is 9mo already. She has been a very fussy and bad tempered gal since birth who is also a light sleeper. In her second and third month she had never nap on own lying down anywhere for more than 20mins. I have to carry her all the time. Things are much better now as she can take longer nap but she is still someone who doesn't sleep easily. She also can't sit still for long. If I carry her I have to be walking or moving else she will cry. I have two nieces and a nephew at home so I know my gal is fussy compared to them. For you your baby is only one week old! Things are never easy in the first three months. For the first month they keep pooing and wanting to drink milk everytime they are awake. I can guarantee you it will easier to handle her after three months. Just hang in there and see what happens after this. Really have to get through the initial tough months first. Plus you are still recovering from delivery , hormones trying to balance out. It is not easy but won't be as bad later on. By then you probably want another kid :) For me one is enough because my gal is really fussy. Even my mom says so and she had looked after several babies before :p

Read more

Don't think about no. 2 yet. It's could be due to the initial stage of a newborn that you might have felt overwhelmed by the routine and settling him/her. I had the same feeling when I had my first. Then she was 16mths when we felt she was gaining independence and we were settled and we planned no. 2. Days b4 no. 2 came, I was afraid like how crazily busy we had w no. 1 newborn stage. But our no. 2 is far easier to handle w experience n not being overly stringent w the routine. For now : Put your focus and love on your newborn and try not to worry about things not happening yet. Always speak to someone when you felt overwhelmed and ask for help even if it meant they might not do it better than you would like them to. Babies grow up pretty fast. Before you knew it, you would be looking back and missing all these moments.

Read more

You are not alone! I felt the same way too. But don't worry! It will get better. It's only a week. Give yourself some time and don't be too hard on yourself. We have all been thru that. I used to wonder why do ppl have more than one child but now slowly I begin to understand why. The joy and warmth a baby gives us is indescribable. My LO is 5 months old now. Hang in there! It will surely get better!

Read more

Hi there, why don't you just (try to) take it easy and concentrate your energies, love and attention on baby #1. Everything else will fall into place if and when #2 happens. Till then, learn the ropes of parenting, get as much help and advice as you can. I'm sure by the time #2 comes around, you'll be a pro :) Hang in there!

Read more

I'm sure everyone had felt the same but once your child grows up you'll want another one, trust me. You just had your baby a week ago so I don't think you need to be thinking about number 2 now and focus on your newborn instead. It will pass.

now everything rise, costly.. dunno will it depress for the child in future.. also scare if future comes out other diseases die easily beside COVID.. also more and more I see child with needs.

Jeez Louise... Give yourself a break! Your baby is only 1 week old. Don't worry about the next one just yet. Just focus all your love and energy on the newborn you have for now!

I felt the same way too. But give yourself some time to adjust. U will feel more confident as time passes. Now can really be quite overwhelming to make any decision.

I feel the same way too. I think you need a lot of support from family if you were to consider for a second one. Perhaps wait a while for your feelings to settle first!

VIP Member

Very normal feelings. I wanted a second one the min I look at my firstborn. I think I can handle a second one, but financially and physically erhmmm no.