Nipple thrush / pain

Baby is about 3 weeks old. Past few days she has been really fussy when trying to latch. My nipples are cracked. I apply some breast milk on the cracks. When dried it has a layer that is crusty. Is not like the other non cracks area that has dried breast milk. Is it nipple thrush? I’m so scared. I checked my baby’s mouth and it looks fine. Please help advise on what I should do and what it may be.. my nipple hurts…☹️#firsttimemom #advicepls

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For the white dried part, just slightly rub it during shower then squeeze abit to ensure it’s flowing. For cracked nipples, I usually apply nipple cream then put on disposable breast pads to prevent further friction. I continued applying even when my nipples recovered. Also when my nipple hurts, I don’t latch, I pump or hand express instead. Apply some coconut oil on the flange then pump.

Read more

While I can't answer for the thrush portion, on your cracked nipples, do consider getting silverettes. These are silver nursing cups that helps to heal the nipples. I injured my nipples using the wrong size flange and the silverettes were so helpful in healing them. Just squeeze a drop or two of breast milk in the cup and wear them on your nipple in your bra.

Read more