Overfeeding? Help.

Baby is 6 weeks old and based on the weight, he should be taking 600ml daily. But at the moment he is constantly hungry, and daily intake is about 800-900ml. (90ml/2 hourly) I know the weight-base feeding volume is just a rough guide, as each baby is different. It’s just that baby’s appetite is alarming to me. (Baby is on formula by the way) Sometimes baby spit out milk, sometimes milk came out from his nostrils as well. Does any mummy experiencing similar situation?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Mine is coming at 7 weeks old now and his daily intake hits 1000ml already; also on formula. Sometimes 100ml per feed not even enough for him. We were worried about overfeeding and consulted with the doctor previously and doc says it’s fine as long as baby is eating well, pooping and peeing normally. Also, baby will reject milk naturally when they are full. Mine do spit out milk often, only once it came out from his nostrils but it’s quite normal I would say. So don’t worry much and take cues from your baby. All the best!

Read more
5mo ago

I have tried giving pacifier- baby angrily pushed it away 😂 😭 Tried means and ways to make him forget about the milk, but no luck 🥲

I was also worried and asked a similar qn recently! I also asked my PD and she said if baby is not vomiting usually babies don’t overfeed.. mine at 5 weeks also constantly hungry 100ml 😂 sometimes even 1.5 hours

5mo ago

mine is also currently 5weeks!!! In the day, baby takes about 100-120ml (apparently pd says its ok, due to growth spurt) and takes lesser at (mid)night as baby is sleepy ; about 70-90ml~ i guess they have bigger appetites compared to others, but i'm glad that they dont vomit out!!!

Mine is 6 weeks and drinks 150ml per feed (BM). She does 5-6 feeds per day so total 900ml. I think as just take your babies cue :) and look at total daily intake instead of each intake.