💡 Ask the Expert: Cyberbullying 101

In commemoration of Cyberbullying Awareness Month, we've invited Dr. Anuradha Rao to answer your questions about this prevalent issue faced by our children today. Drop your questions below now! 📝

💡 Ask the Expert: Cyberbullying 101
21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello parents! I’m Dr. Anu and I’m here to help you navigate cyberspace safely with your little (and not so little) ones. Cybersafety knowledge is a key social skill these days, and I look forward to helping you and your families have healthier, happier, and safer internet experiences! You can connect with me at [email protected], and check the work I do specifically on cyber-parenting at https://cybercognizanz.com/cyber-parenting.

Read more

Hello Dr Anu, I hope you don't mind me being anonymous here. My niece, she's 12, is a victim of cyberbullying months ago. Someone using a fake identity has been sending malicious photos and intimidating messages to her. It's scary that there are predators out there. Is there anything we can do for her? We don't wanna restrict her much by monitoring closely her online activity. Thanks.

Read more
3y ago

(2) Also monitor the child’s behaviours, to see if there are any changes, especially negative behaviours that could impact her health and wellbeing. In such a case, communication, and intervention (such a counselling session or discussion with a trusted adult is the way to go. Continue to offer support and have regular discussions on cyber-safety (when the child is receptive), and avoid judgement and blame.

Thank you all for the great questions! I hope I have been of some help on cyber-bullying, and cyber-parenting in general. If you have an issue that you want me to weigh in on, you can contact me at [email protected]. I offer individual and family consultations, as well as conduct talks/workshops. Stay safe - offline and online!

Read more
Super Mum

1) Any strategies or quick steps for our children to remember if they think they’re being cyber bullied? 2) I’m a strong believer of building resilience and grit in our children so that they can cope better with adversities. What do you think would help build this in the case of cyber bullying?

3y ago

(2) I totally agree! Resilience is key to navigating this complex and ever-changing world we live in. Cyber-parenting principles build on good parenting principles in general, and building resilience in this context similarly includes: • Making your child feel loved and accepted at home. • Having regular communication on feelings and how to manage them • Regular discussions on cyber-risks and how to manage them • Discussing what are acceptable online behaviours and how to respond to them • Being a good role model! • Finally, don’t overreact, if its minor cyber-bullying and your child seems to be able to manage well or brush it off and move along

Hello Dr Anuradha.. I would like to ask what signs should I look out for in my child? If he is bullied or being bullied online?

3y ago

(2) Physical signs: sudden weight loss or gain, difficulty eating or sleeping, perhaps extreme reluctance to stay away or use digital devices. Academic signs: loss of interest in school and studies, sudden or unexplained drop in grades, or even a reluctance to go to school. While these signs may not be clearly linked to cyber-bullying, they are certainly red flags that something is wrong, and needs to be investigated.

If my child is not the victim but he/she's the one who's cyber-bullying, as a parent, what's the best thing to do?

3y ago

(2) Communicate with them openly and honestly about their motivations, explain why their behaviour isn’t right, and work together to resolve the underlying problems in a constructive way. Teaching them about empathy, and guiding them about how to communicate properly while resolving conflicts will go a long way in instilling positive behavioural change. Children need to know they have your support and guidance to make these new changes in their online behaviours and routines.

Hi Dr! What are the factors that increase the risk of cyber-bullying (being a victim and/or a bully)?

3y ago

(2) 3. Having their own mobile phone significantly increases a child’s risk of being cyber-bullying. 4. Finally, the presence of absence of a capable guardian – who exists to protect the child from harm – is a key factor. Here, capable guardians can be technological (parental software), processes (what systems do parents have have in place to protect against cyberbullying), and people (does the parent have the knowledge and means to protect their child)

VIP Member

What are some cyber-parenting practices to prevent or reduce the risk of cyber-bullying?

3y ago

Having clear rules that are consistently and regularly enforced is important too. Drawing up a cyber-parenting plan will give you more peace of mind. You can find out more about how to do this here: https://cybercognizanz.com/cyber-parenting/

How do I know when to react or if I am over-reacting over my child being cyberbullied?

3y ago

(2) For younger kids, taking a more active approach can work well. However, older kids tend to want to feel self-sufficient and may not want you to intervene. In that case, go to another trusted adult, who can observe the child (such as a teacher), and ask them if they think the child is being bullied. Ask them to keep an eye out for you. And then take the appropriate action if things escalate or your child comes to you for help.

What is the best response when you or even your child is being cyber-bullied?

3y ago

(2) Report and flag the abuse: Report it, flag it, get help from website administrators. Websites and social media companies have put in place various features on their platforms to deal with abuse. Contact the authorities: If the bullying persists despite these measures or is particularly nasty to begin with, contact the relevant authorities – whether the school, your workplace (if this is where this is happening), you can file a police report, and use any relevant legal provisions that work to protect you/your child.