NB refuses to sleep

My almost 2 mths old nb now loves to cat naps and refuses to sleep properly. Keeps crying for no reason especially when put down on cot or my bed after I confirmed he is sleeping but not colic for sure. I also swaddle him bcos he will suddenly jolt up from sleep then cry bloody murder. At night, he'll wake up 1-2 hrs daily and I take turns with my husband. I feel sorry for him bcos he works in the morning. Even with the people at home helping me, I am so exhausted as my nb also latches/nurses (he's on mix feed). My shoulder is so painful from carrying him around. Both my thumbs are also in pain. Is it normal for babies to refuse sleep at this age? Any mummies had the same experience? What did you do when your nb behaves this way? #advicepls

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My baby suddenly slept 3 hours and will wake up for milk only shortly after he turns 2 months old. I started him on a routine so he knows it is time for sleep. 1) change him to his sleepwear 2) apply oil and massage him 3) dim the lights 4) swaddle and rock while sing lullaby to him During the night, when he cries for milk, i would feed him in abit more lighted room. Burp, change his diaper, swaddle and rock him to sleep.

Read more
3y ago

My baby is a few days shy to 2 mths. Yes, I do massage him every evening after I've cleaned him & my daily routine is exactly the same as yours except I don't rock him to sleep at night. He will normally sleep on his own. Only day time is the difficult time when he refused to sleep. I also started him on a routine after I saw the article from Anonymous below. It really helps. Bought an electronic rocking chair for him & he seems ok to sleep in it during the day time. Not sure if it's just growth spurt. Thankful that he sleeps better now so I can do housechores while he sleeps.

VIP Member

My girl is 1.5 months. i try to keep her awake as much as i can by entertaining her and without swaddle. only night time when i put her to sleep then i'll swaddle. without swaddle she cannot sleep proper much as she cannot fully control her arms and legs yet hence easy to wake up. day time will be tiring but you get slightly better sleep at night.

Read more
3y ago

My nb needs to swaddle bcos he will suddenly jolt up from sleep and cry bloody murder. But he's ok now. Probably growth spurt not sure. Bought an electronic rocking chair for him. He's not used to it but now he seems he sleeps better in it. Otherwise it's really hard for me to do anything else.

TapFluencer

I think maybe ur baby doesnt know how to self sooth, my daughter used to be super fussy at night. Cant sleep properly and keep cry, but day time she can sleep easily. From 2mths onwards i gv her pacifier and its really helps! And since 2.5mths old she can sleep thru the night (8hrs) until now. Just gv pacifier only during nap n sleep at night

Read more
3y ago

Thats great! Happy for you. For pacifier u actually need to gv him try a few brands, my daughter only accept avent. She rejected NUK, MAM and dentistar. Anyway its better to not using pacifier tho :) take care mommy

Below article might be useful to you. https://sg.theasianparent.com/newborn-sleeping-pattern

3y ago

Thank you so much! I followed as per the article and it really helps ☺️