My 4 month old was diagnosed with hfmd after fever with rashes appearing on foot hands buttock etc.what are the medications usually prescribed other than fever medicine and perhaps cream for the rashes? Was given a medication called methisoprinol. Anyone whose child was prescribed this when down with hfmd?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sorry to hear about that. The medicine given is more to relieve the symptoms. As hfmd is a virus her body will have to fight the virus, there is no specific treatment. Especially your baby is only four months old, not recommended to take a lot of Med. Actually none of the anti viral medicine has been proven to effectively treat hfmd. It is a virus which should heal on its own Can apply calamine lotion to ease the itchiness. Keep the lotion in fridge to make it cooling. Give your baby lots of fluids. Hope your baby gets well soon

Read more
8y ago

Thanks yah I was told no antibiotics given cos hfmd isn't bacterial caused so I wonder y was the medication given. As he was previously on medications since at young age I was thinking if I should just keep the medicine aside, I haven't fed him yet but prescription was told to fin 5 days course

When my wife came down with hfmd, the doctor had prescribed methosoprinol to her. He said it's ok for nursing mums. A class c drug