My 4 month old was diagnosed with hfmd after fever with rashes appearing on foot hands buttock etc.what are the medications usually prescribed other than fever medicine and perhaps cream for the rashes? Was given a medication called methisoprinol. Anyone whose child was prescribed this when down with hfmd?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sorry to hear that :( Medicine will usually only be ibuprofen and cream for relief purposes, because HFMD is something that you just need to ride out. I’d say at this stage, you should just be prepared to soothe your baby (cos they are irritable) as it may be difficult to offer fluids, which can lead to dehydration. What I did: Dip a cotton swab in a one-to-one mixture of Benadryl (or prescribed liquid children’s antihistamine from the doctor) and gently coat the inside of baby's mouth with the solution. Methisoprinol: Never used it. I think it’s used mostly for chicken pox and measles. I was given Ibuprofen. 
 Fever: Shouldn’t last too long, so monitor if it gets too high (above 38 deg celsius) or prolongs, gotta bring to the doctor again. Other steps to take: Sanitise your surroundings as well as even adults can catch it. I did. All the best!

Read more
8y ago

Thank u may I know how long does ur child's fever last? Dr didn't prescribe anything to be applied in the mouth and at the point of checking no ulcers in the mouth too. Appetite dropped but still drinking n yes v irritable

Hi, so sorry to hear that. My boy was also down with HFMD at 4 months and had ulcers in the mouth so we had to be warded as he was unable to drink at all - had to tube feed. He was only given fewer medicine and teething gel to use for the ulcers in his mouth. Didn't even have cream for the rashes but he wasn't itchy either. Just need to wait it out. Be careful to always wash hands and wash everything actually - it has a 10 days period of infectiousness. Get well soon baby

Read more
8y ago

Thanks!when dr check be doesn't have any in the mouth but dr says maybe because it's just the beginning so it hasn't developed , his voice turns husky though, not sure if it's due to sore throat caused by hfmd. May I know if yr child was warded at kkh? Initially wanted to bring him there but decided to go to our regular pd who is nearer our place