My baby won’t go to sleep

My 3 weeks old daughter is suddenly very awake and doesn’t want to go to sleep. Used to be easy, feed and she’ll be sleepy and just put her back in cot. Only fusses when diaper is soiled, and when she’s hungry again. Now she’s not having it. She’ll go quiet during feeding and unlatches from the mother after she falls asleep, put her in the cot and she immediately stirs up and cries. Carry her and cradle her and sing to her and she doze off, put her back in and cry again. Checks her diapers and change, feed again in case for comfort feeding. She falls asleep and put her back in cot and immediately same thing happens again. This can go on for hours! Instead of 2-3 hours feeding interval it’s become 6-7 hours of just cradling and re-latching just to keep her at that “sleep mode”. We are at our wits end. Don’t know what to do! #pleasehelp #advicepls

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's totally normal. I had similar experience with my newborn. He kept wanting to latch and cried when put down. I went several days without sleep, there were days I was literally glued to the bed as he didn't want to unlatch. I had postnatal blues, broke down several times. I didn't have enough supply but my husband and mom are supportive. I eventually gave in to supplementing with formula as my milk supply didn't seem to be able to keep up with baby's need (baby boys are known to be big eaters). My baby alr had a taste of formula when he was in NICU for phototherapy in his first wk so we followed through and gave him formula twice a day (bm for the rest). He seemed more contented and cld sleep longer. It gets better aft a month and at 2 months he's now able to slp longer stretches frm ard 11pm to 5am. That first month is always incredibly hard but give as much support as u can to ur wife, physically and emotionally. My husband and mom kept assuring me tt I'm doing a gd job. Hug ur wife and on the days u're not working, try to stay up with her while she's breastfeeding.

Read more