Wisdom Extraction at 24 Weeks Pregnancy

Hi, wondering if any mummies out there have gone through any tooth extraction at 24 weeks pregnancy. Mine requires surgery. Is it going to be safe? Dental advice to get approval from hospital. But my appointment will only be on month end. I'm really suffering right now. Dental told me they could still proceed with the surgery if my pain becomes unbearable. But no x-ray will be done. #pleasehelp

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Generally speaking, dental surgeries are not advised during pregnancy, unless necessary. If you’re in pain and need the surgery, they can still do the x-ray if necessary to locate the tooth, but they should be providing you with a lead apron to shield your baby from radiation as a precautionary measure. Before the surgery, ensure that you’re not on blood thinning medication, for example, aspirin. You might want to have a check to make sure that clotting factors are healthy as well, so that risk of excessive bleeding is low. After the surgery, be sure to maintain good dental hygiene until the surgical wound heals. This is to prevent opportunistic infections, which can be deadly to your baby. Hope this helps.

Read more
3y ago

If it is not relieving the pain, I think it might be medically necessary to remove the particular wisdom tooth causing the pain. You might want to speak to a dentist about this issue, to see if a surgery can be done at this point. Few blood tests might be necessary to ensure that there is no risk to both you and your baby, which I would encourage you to go for if they are offered. Just bear in mind to maintain good dental hygiene after the procedure to prevent opportunistic infections.