OSCAR or NIPT

My wife is currently 8 weeks pregnant and we were in a dilemma when asked to choose to do either OSCAR (~$350) or Panorama (NIPT) (~$1,100 - 1, 550). Prices are private rate from Thomson Women's Clinic. Dr did suggest to do the NIPT and the neck measurement for a more comprehensive test. Any advise will be helpful. TIA. Edit: Thanks everyone for your advice. Will update soon again. #1stimepregnancy #firstbaby #advicepls

OSCAR or NIPT
41 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It really depends, my gynae recommended OSCAR as he reckoned that I am considered not that old (30 years old) and I do not have any unhealthy lifestyle habits or serious genetic family history. Also both OSCAR and NIPT are just gonna give you a ratio and relative risk, the results of both OSCAR and NIPT are not definitive, it is just that NIPT is deemed more accurate because it has less cases for false positives (but it is also not 100% accurate). In the end, I just tooK OSCAR. I actually have a friend who ended up not taking any of the tests because she said such indefinitive results (i.e. low risk, high risk, borderline risk) will just leave her in high anxiety, with more questions like "how low is low? Still possible to get it right?" so she rather not do it as she knew she wouldn't be able to sleep at night unless the results can tell her for sure what the exact outcome would be.

Read more
3y ago

Nope! I did mine at at thomson :)