To circumcise the baby right after birth or not?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For us Muslims, it is a tradition for males to be circumcized. It is believed that it is good for cleanliness (hygiene). Circumcision will allow the guy to easily clean his private part. The penis’ foreskin usually will gather some urine in its sac. Thus by removing the foreskin, it is believed to be much more cleaner as you have to be clean and rid of all najis (dirt) before the guy can perform his prayers. Aside from that, I cannot think of any other pros to get circumcized but personally irregardless whether I am Muslim or not, hygiene is definitely a sufficient reason. My son was circumcized at 2 months old at Doctor Sidek's clinic at Novena Medical. I paid about $50 after CPF. It was heart wrenching to heart my sok scream in pain and I can't do anything about it but wait outside the room (they don't allow parents in). But it is advisable for babies to get circumcized before they turn 3 months old so that the wound will heal faster. My son took about a week to recover. We didn't opt to circumsize right after because we felt that the delivery would already be a big tramautic change to our son and didn't want to worsen it.

Read more