Mum guilt for pumping > latching

Hello mums who exclusively pump, when and why did you decide to stop latching on directly? I’m already feeling mum guilt that I only latch twice a day and pump more than I latch. Hoping to hear some of your experiences if you don’t mind sharing 🙆🏻‍♀️ #firsttimemom

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I stopped latching around 1.5 months. It was a heart wrenching decision because I really loved the close bonding time I feel when latching my baby (something that only I and no one else can do feel). But I dont regret my decision to switch to exclusive pumping. - Baby was latching very long and I was pumping the leftover after latch due to oversupply so it felt I was constantly just latching/pumping and couldnt do anything else. - with latching baby gets hungry very fast again (about 2.5 hours compared to 3~4hours on EBM). Exclusive pumping gives me more time to do chores and other things. - i eventually have to go back to work so i felt is better to just switch to EP earlier and work on lengthening the gap between pumps while maintaining supply. - my letdown on one breast is explosive causing him to choke, the other breast is so slow he is frustrated and meltdown. After 6 weeks of seeing his choking and frustration (though he did slowly improve for the choking as he grew but also grew even more frustrated for the slower breast, I decided to switch fully to bottle feeding EBM which we were already doing for night feeds, and which he is totally ok with. Do treasure your time latching which you are still doing it, but dont feel bad for swtiching to EP! Mommy's mental health is very important. Happy Mommy means Happy Baby so do what you feel makes you most comfortable!

Read more

I am doing both like pump/latch for both kids. Like for my first born, she latch more hence I do direct latch and don't pump. Because she's heavy drinker, she latch long and she helps me prevent engorgement 🫢 So I am lazy to pump. However for my second born, I pump more than latch. She direct latch more only at night, when she feel like it. Otherwise I will bottle feed with BM/FM. I get easily engorged so I have to constantly pump every 3 hrs to keep with the supply momentum. It is very tiring to direct latch to be honest. Though it is a bonding session that we must enjoy or should enjoy but, if you are working you need rest they latch pretty long and you can't do anything. My second born at night or afternoon can latch till she sleep. She won't let go of the tits till she feel happy and doze off 🤣

Read more

I ep cause baby is not latching well and I really don’t have the energy to wake up so many times to latch. Pumping and washing is way faster and since baby is drinking more from bottle, she sleeps longer. Also a part of me is selfish cause they say latching may have uneven boobs if baby only clears the preferred boob so I prefer pumping instead. Don’t need to feel guilty, afterall you are still providing your best regardless of latching, pumping or even formula feeding. What matters most is baby is healthy and drinking well will do. 😊

Read more

Why the mom guilt tho, since you are still feeding your baby and baby growing well. I was in fact happier when I was pumping compared to latching. Because by pumping and bottle feeding, anyone in my household could take over some duties like feeding as I rest. Latching really took a toll on me as i was waking up every other hour for feeding and couldn’t even get proper rest. Now that I’m bottle feeding, I get more rest since my husband can help with feeding. Don’t feel guilty, you are doing ur best too~ 😅

Read more

One week after I came home from hospital.. Cos my son toooooooooo slow, keep falling asleep till I cannot take it.. 🤭 I think e most guilt for me now is I gg to stop my BF journey 😑😩😭

My LO was mostly on FM during 1st two months. Tried to let her latch but she cried murder cos the flow was slower as compared to bottle. From then on, i just concentrate on pumping. 😃

You have a life to live, pump/latch/fm, it’s up to you to decide. In the end of the day, happy mom=happy baby and it works both ways.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and for the encouragement 💕