Inverted nipples

Any mummies have this issues? How do you do breastfeed ?? I just hate having inverted nipples .. 😭😭 even my husband said why your nipples so weird 💔💔

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hey dear, I have inverted nipples on both sides and the right is flatter than the left. It is possible to breastfeed but I personally find it challenging. Mine is coupled with some other structural issues with my baby's mouth. It is a bit more difficult for newborns to suckle without the right stimulation from the nipple to the roof of their mouth. Harder but not impossible. To overcome, I kept pumping and direct latching. I used asymmetrical latching method and football hold was the easier for me to get my baby to latch. I also used nipple puller, which Pigeon and Laninsoh sell. You can find one on Pupsik online. I tried using a nipple shield from Laninsoh but I hated it. It always shifted on my breast and it didn't improve the pain. Some mums with inverted nipples find them useful. I used plenty of nipple balm in the beginning and also dabbled some breastmilk on my nipples to help them heal. If it is an option for you, I would recommend seeing a board certified lactation consultant to help you find a good latching position and to also assess for any other breastfeeding issue. By the first month my left nipple is not inverted anymore. My right nipple still needs to be gently pulled out (but still inverted) for my baby to latch. For some reasons now my baby prefers the right side too. At almost 4 months pp, I'm exclusivelg breastfeeding. I used to supplement with formula from birth and gradually cut down the use. Baby also grew bigger and is able to feed better. That being said, if it's too mentally and physically draining to bf, give yourself a break. You're trying your best!

Read more
VIP Member

I used to have it. I did direct latching all the way and massage too. Eventually its okay after 1 month pp 😁 keep latching im sure you will be okay. Dont need to hear wat your husband say.

yes i have it on top of my low milk to no milk supply. that was the reason i gave formula. i was so depressed cos my baby didnt want to drink from my boobs and also my supply was low.

Use a breast pump to bring out your nipples. You can also use a nipple shield when you breastfeed. Hopes this help. No comment about your husband.

4y ago

I understand. Try the 2 above things ok. You can buy the nipple shield at Shopee also. This one also protects your nipples from cracks. Take care mummy

TapFluencer

there is this pump in the market selling for inverted nipple or you can use nipple shield

Massage constantly with index finger and thumb

Nipple shield works wonder