Is renting my home or rooms on websites like airbnb or easyrooms a good way of makingside income? Are there any legal repercussions with doing this in Singapore?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You may want to refer to this article on this topic: https://vulcanpost.com/203731/short-term-rental-new-life-jaded-hotel-industry/ I think if you have a HDB unit, it is not legal to rent out the room on a short-term basis (less than 6 months). Not so sure if the rule extends to private apartments (though I think the same rule is advised by URA). Personally, I would not take my chances since the consequence may be losing the unit. Better to consider renting it out for at least 6 months. That way, you can still earn from the rental if that is an option you are considering.

Read more

Better not to, some governments around the world are clamping down on AirB&B rentals. If you have a free room, why not rent it out long-term but for short periods at a time. For example, there are always exchange students studying in Singapore for a few months (usually 6) at a time and you can rent rooms to them for a semester and make some quick money from it.

Read more