Will my bottle fed baby know I'm her mummy?

Recently I've been feeling insecure and worried. My baby has been bottle fed since day 1 as not able to DL. I've been pumping for the past 3 months and every time I pump, I leave her with the helper or my mother in law, I'm worried my baby will prefer them over me as I feel like I'm spending time away from her each time I pump... Can someone tell me if my baby knows its me? I pump 6 x a day instead of 7x now and I'm seriously thinking of giving formula instead of ebm bcos that means I can spend more time with baby... Idk.. Its hard. #1stimemom #firstbaby #advicepls #bantusharing #pleasehelp

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi! I’m a ep mum since day 1 and sometime I will bottle feed my baby prior to pumping / after pumping (just drag a little) or my husband will feed her. She’s 11mo now and I’m still pumping and yes ! Your baby will know you are the mummy. There are many other ways to build bonds with the baby (not just feeding). You bathe her, cuddle her, play with her, pat her to slp . The opportunities are endless! Oh and to add on, she attend ifc at 5.5mo. And she sticks to me like crazy at home. Don’t worry about it! As for whether you want to continue to breastfeed or change to fm, it’s up to you. But for sure, it doesn’t affect the bonding you & ur child have.

Read more
3y ago

Thanks for the reassurance. I just feel that she will not like me as much as the helper or my in law. I actually feed her 80% of the time daily, bathe her and also pat her to sleep but it gets upsetting when she cries when she's with me when I pat her to sleep but when she's in the arms of my in law she instantly just stops and sleeps.. I just feel like she might not always want me even tho I try to make myself as available as I can.. She is reaching 3 mths soon. On top of that, my in law uses SO MUCH PERFUME and I worried she can't smell that I'm her mummy once she comes back after I ebm

My situation is the same as u. I am exclusively pumping 6x a day and i will leave my baby to either my husband or mil to feed. At first i dl feel really sad as i dont get to bond with my baby and fear she done recognize me as her mother. So what i did was, i will try to pump 1 hr before her feeding time by time she is ready for feeding im completed with my pumping session. Another way is u can latch her every night before her bedtime, that what i did too to create the bonding with her.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes, she will definitely know. The moment she's born, her skin to skin touch with mummy is very important. Slowly but surely, she definitely know you are her mummy. The scent is there and the voice too. Relax a little and it will be fine

3y ago

She didn't have the opportunity for a lot of skin to skin because she was born early and was in the hospital prior to coming back with me. Not sure if my mother in law's perfume takes away my scent from my baby 🙃

TapFluencer

had low bm supply ... neither was i good at calming my kids... but my kids are closest to me now for sure! take care ya 💕

Read more

Hi, Please don’t worry about it. The baby definitely will know the mother once they grow up

3y ago

I can't help feeling like she doesn't like me as much as the helper or my in law, I try to be with her as much as possible but she's usually just sleeping around me

Don't worry. when baby grows up. he/she wants to be with mother.

3y ago

I really hope so