Jaundice in newborn 3 weeks old

Hi all, #pleasehelp #advicepls I recently gave birth to my third child. Been going back and forth to poly for her jaundice. It’s definitely gone down over the weeks just that it’s a little slow. Last check by blood test yesterday was 162. Two weeks ago it was 216 by skin test. I skipped going for awhile because of other commitments so only followed up yesterday and baby was at 26 days. Based on the results, the doctor said will need to come back tomorrow to do 2 blood tests. Jaundice and liver test, to check if its a liver problem. She’s basically doing good. Feeding, peeing and pooping well. Apart from her jaundice, I don’t find any other symptoms relating to liver problem. I’m just feeling so distraught right now because the doctor mentioned having to go to hospital for further testing etc. which is so heartbreaking because, who loves to see their baby gets poked for blood so many times right? I would really love to hear if anyone has any similar experiences whereby it wasn’t liver issues but just prolonged jaundice? I am fully feeding breastmilk by bottle so I can monitor how much she drinks. I would only continue direct latching once we clear her jaundice. I need assurances because I got so emotional to hear of the possibility that my child could have liver problems and would need to undergo surgery. Btw I have tried traditional methods like suntanning, yellow flower bath etc. and still doing so till date. Appreciate any responses!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

my 2 weeks old baby reading is 202, doc recommended consistent feeding according to PD, reading at 250 needs to go for hototherapy and reading at 300 needs to admit hospital for further treatment my nephew which is one month old had Liver check and everything was fine, doc said it may be breastmilk jaundice you may want to seek another PD advise if u have concern

Read more
3y ago

Thank you for your response. Indeed I’ve since went for the check up and liver test was negative, dr said bm jaundice. But levels still high so need to come back and do another test tmr. I really hope to get happy news tmr.