Breastmilk got asked to thrown away

my newborn is 5 days old, I was pumping today and used kitchen towel paper to wipe the clean bottles so its dry, and got asked by my mil to throw away the entire breastmilk, as she said its not clean... i was so sad and cried. my husband didnt defend me either... But i dont see whats wrong with that...

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

to be on the safe side as ur nb is just 5 days or else bottle wouldn't need to be sterilise to drink milk so think better to listen to her cause they also easily have tummy upset etc. u can use ur bm to bathe her or to clean externally next time, that's what I do when they scratch themselves bec of their nails ..or any part of the body that is with allergy. kitchen towel is expose to the environment so wouldn't be sterilise but if it is to clean external body is OK but not internally.

Read more

I think your MIL spoke up out of concern for the baby, please don't take it personally. Personally I won't be comfortable too using a towel, but in my case it's because my towels are quite exposed in the kitchen and had been soaking up oil fumes over time. You would know your situation best, but do take her advice under consideration. Can consider this article too, towel dying is indeed not the most recommended method: https://mothersneed.com/how-to-dry-baby-bottles/

Read more

Maybe because newborns are more sensitive. Most people use the drying function in the sterilizer to dry the bottles. If you dont want to have conflict with your MIL but don’t want to throw away the milk, maybe you can do milk bath with your baby.. at least it’s still used on the baby. Jiayou mummy, I know every drop of breast milk is like our blood & sweat 😭

Read more
VIP Member

Yes your MIL is correct, kitchen towel is used to wipe hands by all, so it can have germs or the remains of food stuck to it. So wash the bottle with hot water and no need to dry it so much. if you shake the bottle most of the water goes away. Then u can put the pumped milk in it. Stay cheerful.

Newborns require bottles/pacifiers/pump parts, etc to be sterile. Wiping with kitchen towel is not clean enough for the little one with low immunity…looking at the bright side of things, you’ve gotten your milk supply steady by pumping regularly!

Hmm.. have to understand correctly.. you were trying to wipe the outside of the bottle or? I sometimes wipe the outside of the bottle (if im pouring over to a bigger bottle and some drips out)..