Braxton Hicks

So my nesting instinct came but instead of clearing and decluttering stuff to make way for my upcoming baby, I decluttered my kitchen. Spent a good 4 hrs, cleaning, scrubbing, throwing away unwanted stuff, sweeping & then mopped the floor. Throughout the 4 hrs, I kept having braxton hicks. My stomach felt really hard, uncomfortable and a bit painful but bearable. Been having BH since 20 weeks. Now my back is also aching very badly from the decluttering. I'm a few days shy to 27 weeks, 3rd trimester. No bleeding nothing and baby is actually actively moving. Should I see a dr or is this normal? My next appointment is in 2 weeks time.

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi mama! Firstly congratulations and well done strong mama for doing so many things! Your body has been releasing relaxins from 7-10 weeks. This helps your joints to loosen all in preparation for birth. So take it easy ya? And rest when you can. Just thought I’d send you a link on information regarding other hormones too that are at work during pregnancy: https://www.yourhormones.info/topical-issues/hormones-of-pregnancy-and-labour/ The hardness and slight pain you’re experiencing are due to Braxton Hicks contractions. If you tense your bicep, your arm is likely to feel hard instead of soft. Same thing with BH contractions. The contraction of the uterine muscles causes your tummy to be hard and uncomfortable. However, if you feel like you’d like to see your gynae just to be sure, do go ahead. Better to have peace of mind than to have sleepless nights. Take care mama!

Read more
3y ago

Totally get it. Not my 1st pregnancy and I know it's braxton hicks but I've never had frequent ones before. Contemplating whether to head down to the hospital or not cos at this time, I'm still experiencing BH even after resting and dehydrating myself.