Perineal massage - what oil and does it work? It’s so uncomfortable.

Hi mums, FTM here. Am week 32 and gynae recommends to start perineal massage or buy Epi No. I just tried perineal massage myself yesterday in shower, without any oil and it has a burning sensation. Vjj also felt tight and i dislike the feeling. Any tips?😭

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there! Congratulations on your pregnancy! Perineal massage can indeed feel uncomfortable, especially if it's your first time trying it. It's great that your gynae recommended it, as it can help to prepare your body for childbirth and potentially reduce the risk of tearing. Firstly, let's address the burning sensation and tightness you experienced. Using oil can definitely help with both of these issues. You can try using natural oils like almond oil, coconut oil, or olive oil for your perineal massage. These oils can help to lubricate the area, making the massage more comfortable and reducing any burning sensations. When performing the massage, make sure to relax as much as possible and go slowly. Start with gentle pressure and gradually increase it as you become more comfortable. You can also try different positions to find what works best for you, such as sitting on a birth ball or lying on your side. If you're still finding it uncomfortable, you might also consider trying the Epi No device as an alternative. It's designed to help stretch and prepare the perineum for childbirth, and some women find it more comfortable than traditional perineal massage. Remember, it's important to listen to your body and stop if you experience any pain or discomfort. And don't hesitate to reach out to your gynae or a healthcare professional if you have any concerns. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy journey! You're doing great! 😊 Mama's Choice $18 voucher 👉🏻 https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

i heard normal water-based lubricant would work too. my gynae actually told me not to start perineal massage at w32 as it might cause pre-mature contraction… take care

I’m using this and I do it while lying down instead: https://www.bymommadee.com/collections/pregnancy-postpartum/products/perineum-oil