How do you prepare for a second baby?

Hi mums. My firstborn is turning 18 months soon and my hubs and I have been thinking about having a second baby, but we’re both nervous about the prospect. I’ve been wondering, for those who have children close in age, how did you know when you are ready for a second baby? - what preparations did you make? Like, financially, mentally… even the sleeping arrangements, how did you settle that? My daughter is still breastfeeding but sleeps in her own cot. - any advice for us before we start trying for a second baby? Much appreciated, thank you!! #advicepls

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I guess you’ll need to prepare financially. 1) gynae and labour fees (if go private route, may want to prepare $15-20k for entire pregnancy and labour) 2) childcare fees if you are working ( IFC could cost $800 or more) 3) opportunity cost if you are going to stop working to take care of children 4) milk powder and PD fees 5) annual insurance fees 6) confinement nanny fees (around 4k now) These are just some costs I can think of at the top of my head.. Then there is the LACK OF SLEEP. Lol. And preparing your elder one for a sibling and the fact that mommy will be giving a lot of attention to younger sibling. There will be a lot of jealousy and tantrums. Perhaps daddy can start bedtime routine with elder one to have another person to comfort him/her. My husband took over showering and bedtime so it’s more manageable and they have time together. 😍 My children are 14 months apart and elder one started having tantrums when younger one came home. She’s jealous of her sibling from time to time too. Just bite the bullet and they will eventually have the best playmate and parents can chill a little and let them play, bicker and fight 🙈 Jia you💪💪💪

Read more

For me and my hubby, we see how cute our firstborn is and we can’t help but want to give her a sibling! I am turning 34 this year and had low ovarian reserve so we don’t want to wait too long. And to our surprise, we conceived #2. By the time #2 born, their age gap will be 1 year 9 months. I think for me I was 2 minds about it as I’m afraid to go through morning sickness again and discomfort in the body but really hope to have #2. So when it happens, it’s really God’s timing. We didn’t even calculate ovulation. Just be prepared for what is to come and if you have enough help I think it’s ok to try for #2 since your firstborn already turning 18 months.

Read more

For me i am not young anymore and i didnt wanna have a baby after 35. But if fated i will just take it. Hb asked if i was ready for 2nd.. now i wonder too hahahaha. I sleep alone while my #1 sleeps wif my daughter. When im due, my daughter would be 2yrs3 mths! Not sure if too close.. financially i tink we still okay (hb is still paying for everyting n my job is just to work n spend on myself n mayb clothes for my LO). 😂

Read more

For me both my husb and i is a single child in the family, so we decided to just have a 2nd one for my first born which is turning 3 to have a playmate and oso when they grow up they have each other to relay on:)

can't advise you because I have twins 😊