Feels Suffocated When Laying Down

hi mums, does anyone experience tightening of the neck when laying down? I have been struggling with this feeling for few days causing me sleepless nights. I am currently in my 2nd trimester. my next gynae check up is on 4July. Is this normal? Tia! :)

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I did experience something similar during my late second tri and whole of third tri. I avoided lying on my back when I rest or sleep and slept on my sides. By third tri, I also felt suffocated even lying on my sides and there wasn't a good position to sleep in. Usually by then the uterus and baby are heavy enough to press on the large blood vessels located on your back and that causes restriction of blood circulation. You can try elevating yourself with a pillow, pregnancy pillow or long bolster. I used a long bolster to elevate my torso even when I slept on my sides. Hang in there mama! It does resolve after pregnancy.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes, I have experienced it before. Try to sleep with your head slightly elevated or on 2 pillows. Do talk to your gynae if it doesn’t subside.

4y ago

great! thanks for your reply :)

Naku same here, pinapakiramdam ko nman lungs ko wala nman akong plema . D ako masyado mag buntong hininga normal na breathing lang

Yes it's normal as its growing and pressing causing pressure on ur diaphragm! Maybe u can try changing sides.