Working evening or night shift during pregnancy

Hi mummies, I am now 10weeks+ pregnant and working as a dialysis nurse in private company..Used to work any shifts before i got pregnant but now i find that working evening feel much tiring..my nausea and vomiting also started to get worsening lately at night time..sometimes i feel stressed and struggling to accommodate my work schedule and assignments..most colleagues know that i am pregnant but i don’t understand why sometimes my manager still putting me in evening shift with mostly we are working only 2 staff with full numbers of 7-9 patients..i just don’t want to risk myself if something happens especially if I suddenly unwell or any of my patients require emergency attention. Any opinion about this?#advicepls

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Try to talk to your manager about this and ask whether can limit your shift duty. Not sure if it’s staffing issue. I once worked as medical technologist before and I know how tiring it is to work in shift especially when you need to work back to back with limited rest, but no complain as this is the job scope and they can’t change this shift to cater to my liking of course so as to be fair to all. Do bear in mind to talk to your colleagues and seek their understanding as well, cause some may feel the unfair treatment whereby you don’t need to work shift but I need work shift.

Read more
3y ago

Understood your point of view..Thanks for sharing with me your thought..Well, staffing issue as well always inadequate staff in centre even though you’re running full shift patients count 9-10 per shift. 🧐