Induce labour

Hi mummies, am worried because I’m going to induce my baby on Monday. Will be week 39 pregnant and baby is slightly on the heavier side therefore opt for induction just in case there’s difficulty giving birth naturally but I’m super worried and scared if it’s the right choice. 😭#advicepls

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi mama, Have you read any articles on the pros and cons of having an induction? The average first time mama births at 41.3 weeks. The EDD is what it is - an estimate. Scans are guesses at best. Also, do read up on birthing ‘big babies’ or what doctors term macrosomia. I’ve got a great evidence based article here: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/ I personally feel that it’s not about what’s right or wrong - there’s no such thing. It’s really about making a decision and whether we are informed or not. We fear the unknown and if we don’t know what we’re getting into, it adds to the anxiety. Asking your doctor the questions you need to ask is important - what’s involved in an induction, what are the steps, what will i experience, etc. This is YOUR body and your doctor should tell you what is being done to it. Moreover, you should also weigh out all the pros and cons to make your decision - an informed decision and what’s best for you! This way, you are at peace with yourself because you’ve looked at all your options, determined what you’re comfortable and uncomfortable with and made a conscious decision. Sure, we should trust our doctor but more importantly, we should also trust ourselves and our instincts. Your body is amazing mama! It has grown a baby for 9 WHOLE months!!!! And guess what? Only WE get to do that and only we have what’s needed to do it! Believe in yourself mama coz we all believe in you :)

Read more

1 thing I can reassure you is, my close friend who've had 5 big babies, all weighing 4+kg, gave birth naturally. A tip for you mama. Just never lift up your butt when you're pushing your baby out ok. Trust your gynae. Only push when gynae tells you to. Wishing you all the best! You'll be alright!

It is gonna be fine mummy. Trust your doctor on this. You will be okay. Focus on staying healthy, hydrated and not stressed ❤️❤️