Ultrasound scan but only water sac was seen

Hi mummies! I went for my 1st gynae appointment and also did my 1st untrasound scan today. I found out i was pregnant on 7/2/21 when i missed my period (regular period) and did 4 urine tests and even went to the GP to confirm my pregnancy. Did some EDD calculations myself and if everything's according to plan, my baby would have been 7 weeks and 5 days old today. However when i did my scan today, the doctor only found a water bag sac with almost nothing in it. I'm so shocked and sadden by this news and almost burst out crying.. But doctor reassured that this is normal as my period cycle is between 35-41 days average so might take some time for my baby to be visible and grow. Worst case scenario, there will be a 15%-20% chance of miscarriage if by the next scan there is still nothing. I'm so scared and worried.. Is there anyone out there who faces the same/similar situation as me? Please advice. Thank you! #advicepls

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i go thru this w my 1st baby .. went for my first ultrasound scan , only sac can be seen .. doctor even used transvaginal scan but still no baby or heartbeat is detected .. was asked to come back 2 weeks later which is about 8 weeks of pregnancy , then baby is visible .. successfully gave birth to a 4kg baby via normal delivery . dun be stress , stay positive mummy! ❤

Read more
3y ago

Thank you so much for your comfort mama! So happy that both you and baby are healthy! I tend to think and worry for the worst but seeing comments and advices like this makes me feel much better! ❤️ Take care and stay safe mummy!

I experienced e same as you. My cycle is also in e range as yours. My first pregnancy also can only see sac but subsequently more scans can see more but unfortunately miscarriage at about 8 week. Now am finally pregnant again, and it’s e same at e beginning doesn’t see much due to our long cycle. Now am 16 weeker 👍🏻 all e best!!

Read more
3y ago

Even at 8 weeks it's prone to miscarriage.. I'm so worried yet excited for my scan 2 weeks later, so far i don't experience any bleeding and my breasts are still sore so i'll take these as positive signs that my baby will be visible soon! 🙏🏻

Went thru this before I guess is very common nowadays.. don’t worry.. sometimes is really too early to detect. For me no heartbeat confirm by 7 weeks therefore consider as not a successful pregnancy. Nurse ur health back to the peak n keep trying. I went to TCM after 2 months rest n 3 months later I conceive again..

Read more
3y ago

Yes. U need to stay positive! So Jiayou! Praying for u

went thru natural miscarriage during 1st pregnancy at 6 weeks. From light bleeding to heavy bleeding. Gynae said it is common for 1 in evry 5 women. Rested for 3 months and have a smooth healthy pregnancy afterwards. My boy is 13 months now and very active. Cheer up!!

3y ago

Oh no i'm so sorry to hear that! It's really scary.. one second you're so excited when you found out that you were pregnant, the other second you might just loses it all.. It's never easy, but i'm glad everybody is here to share and help! Thank you mummies! ❤️

VIP Member

It’s probably still too early in the pregnancy to detect anything through a normal ultrasound. Don’t worry too much for now. Just get enough rest and eat well. Stay positive, everything will be fine!

When I went to check with my gynae, she straightaway use transvaginal scan as she told me can't see anything thru ultrasound as still small Although tiny got visible (5wks 6days) now she already 4mths

3y ago

Thank you My baby already 4mths old Congrats

Yes, there is still hope. May have miscalculated. When is your next scan? Also when was your lmp? I have irregular cycle too, so it’s harder to count. Stay positive and God bless you!

3y ago

My next scan will be 2 weeks from now on 8March. My LMP was 30/12/20. I have regular cycle, meaning my period will definitely comes every month, but the cycle length is long - it varies from 35-41 days so might have miscalculated.

Still too early to be detected and your LMP is never accurate so everything based on ultrasound's gestational week & EDD. Wait for another scan.

had the same issue as u for my 3rd pregnancy, however after 2 weeks later, we can see the baby inside :)

3y ago

Awww that's so beautiful! I can't imagine the joy of seeing your baby's heartbeat! 😍

Mum, Don't be stressed . Be positive. as i have heard , baby can be seen after 8 weeks. God bless you both

3y ago

Thank you! I'll be going back for a 2nd scan in 2 weeks time and hopefully by then i can see my baby's heartbeat! 🙏🏻