Scans during check ups

Hi mummies, FTM at 6 weeks now and my first appt is this Friday. I’m slightly confused on the prenatal checks. How often do you guys go for checks ? And do we get to do ultrasound during every check up? Is there a difference between going to a private clinic compared to public hospital like KKH in terms of quality of checks, the things they check etc ?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Subsidised patient with KKH. Monthly check up if there’s no complications. All check up consist of routine test (urine/blood pressure) then followed by doctor consultation. From my experience, I only had 3 ultrasound scans throughout my pregnancy. First ultrasound was on my first appt with KKH, i believe this is to confirm that the egg fertilised at the right place, this is to confirm that you’re not having an ectopic pregnancy etc. Second ultrasound was when they doing the detailed scan (plus gender reveal as well-abt 5 months as i did not do the harmony or oscar) Last one was when it’s near to my due date if i remember correctly. In between check up, sometimes the nurse will check baby’s heartbeat.

Read more
2w ago

Yes different doctor every time i went for checkup. As long as you’re under subsidised, doctor will be different. If you choose private KKH you can choose your own doctor, means you’ll get to see the same gynae every time you come for appt and he/she will also be the one to deliver your baby. I have a friend who is under private KKH, was told that the waiting time for appt more or less the same as subsidised, especially if you get the well known gynae, and sometimes they are out for urgent delivery etc. Though i saw different doctors, so far I had good experience…as a first time mom whatever that i want to know/doubts i will just ask the doctor every time during my consultation. As long as there’s no complications mummy and baby is healthy i think it’s still a safe route even if you see different doctors. Depend on individual actually :) You can also opt from subsidised patient to private along the way if you feel like it doesn’t works for you. I think before you turn 24 weeks

Private here. First appt till 32 weeks every 1 month, followed by every 2 weeks then every 1 week from week 36 for mine. In between inclusive of detailed scan etc.

2w ago

Detailed scan is Oscar, iirc, you will be given the option to do Oscar/harmony 😊. Everything else is pretty much the same. Public hospitals also have private/subsidised options too 😊.