Exposure to Tuberculosis

Hi mummies, my FIL was recently diagnosed with Tuberculosis (TB). My world crashed as we have been visiting my in-laws almost twice every week with my 3month-old. We were informed to get tested for TB. The doctor informed me that I should get my baby started with the antibiotics "rifampicin" even if the 1st test result is negative. Only until the 2nd test shows negative result then we can stop the antibiotics treatment. This is because baby's immunity is not as strong as an adult. I researched the side effect of rifampicin and found out that there are A LOT of side effects which my baby may not be able to let me know. I'm torn between taking the precaution and get him started with the treatment now or wait till he is tested positive. Then again if he has gotten TB and treatment were delayed, the situation could be worse. Does anyone have this experience? What should I do?#1stimemom #firstbaby #advicepls

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Thanks for your views. We've gotten the first test result to be negative but I've decided to go ahead with the antibiotics treatment after talking to the doctor at TTS hospital again and my pediatrician. Apparently on the TB scale of 1 to 4 my FIL is at no. 3. meaning he is actually very contagious when he was tested. We don't if the TB bacteria will surface within the window period of 2 months. Better be safe than sorry. I just hope my baby won't suffer too much from the side effects. (╥﹏╥)

Read more

I would go ahead getting my baby have the antibiotics because if u weigh the consequences for both “side effects from antibiotics” or “getting TB and got worse” I think the first option is better in a way? Also seek 2nd opinion and see if the 2nd doctor would recommend ur baby to take antibiotics too despite 1st blood test is negative. If both also say must take antibiotics regardless, then follow doctors advice. We cannot afford the regrets afterwards. Take care !!!

Read more
VIP Member

I think you should visit another doctor before proceeding.

VIP Member

Hi mommy, please seek for a 2nd opinion.