Body Image Issue

Any moms or mom-to-be who has body image issue? As a kid, I was made fun of for my weight so I don’t want to gain weight at all for my pregnancy (currently 15 weeks). I also dislike the look of being heavily pregnant so I’ve been tempted to get a corset to ensure I don’t start showing. Any one went through this and have any solution or advice? I don’t want the child to be unhealthy afterall 😕 #1stpregnacy #advice #advicepls

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I used to weigh around 51kg before pregnancy, and now that I'm at 35 weeks, I've gained more than 11kg to date. Although this is my first pregnancy, my bump is larger than most people (Doc says could be due to water retention), and it makes me quite self conscious, to be honest. My hubby and in laws are very slim. My in-laws lead quite active lifestyles, even though they are in their late 50s and 60s, and they are very proud of that. So in my pre-pregnancy days, even though I'm not heavy for my height, I always felt a bit insecure compared to them. There was an occasion when my FIL made fun of my pregnancy weight gain. Like why did I gain so much weight, when the baby is still so small? He might have said it in jest, but it made me so upset, I cried for 2 days. I felt wronged also, because while I didn't watch my diet very strictly, in terms of calorie intake, I didn't pig out either. To prevent too much weight gain, I abstained from sugary food (cakes, soft drinks) and for dairy products I chose to take only non-fat/skimmed. I don't think it is possible to not gain any weight at all. My gynae advised to gain about 2kg per month from the 3rd trimester onwards, and eventually gain around 9kg in total. The weight doesn't just come from the baby. But also the extra blood to support the baby (40% more than pre-preggers), the placenta and amniotic fluid. What I told myself eventually was, to focus on my baby's growth, and ignore the unnecessary comments from other people. I also allowed myself to indulge a bit more in terms of food options (durian season hehe), and I think it made me a happier person. My prenatal course trainer told me I will likely lose most of the weight fast, since most of it is water retention. I hope what she says is true, but I think even if it's not, I can work on my weight after delivery. And I can probably accept not going back to my pre-pregnancy weight, since it's more important that my baby is healthy and happy. Take care! Don't pay heed to people who talk s***. It's always easy for them to say. Try not to stress too much.

Read more
4y ago

He probably didn't think much when he said it. I also had people asking if I'm carrying twins since my bump is big, but I just laugh it off now. For the water retention thing, I was told by my doctor and also my prenatal course trainer who used to be a midwife at the hospital. I'm not sure how they can tell, but I think it's true bcos I had diarrhea once, and the mild swelling in my legs went down, and I lost some weight.