39 weeks already

Hi mommies, went for my checkup yesterday told the doctor that I’m having pelvic pains, constant backaches that seems like contractions. But when doctor check my cervix it’s too far for him to sweep and it’s not opened yet. What should I do to open up the cervix? It’s my 2nd pregnancy. #pleasehelp #advicepls

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi mama, The pelvic pains and backaches are normal. The backaches do depend on the position of baby - e.g if the back of baby’s head is resting on the pelvis or hitting the spine. You can try to figure out how baby is positioned using the fetal compass rose. The ligaments in the pelvis will generally loosen during this time as well as it is making space for baby. Your body really is doing what it needs to do as a natural process and it is a real wonder and miracle :) You can read up on how your body prepares you for birth here: https://www.pregnancybirthbaby.org.au/what-happens-to-your-body-in-childbirth You mentioned a sweep of membranes…May I know if you’re considering an induction? I would like to suggest that if your cervix isn’t ripened, your body may not be ready. I would also like to suggest that while we are always excited for baby to come earth side, that you try distracting yourself. I am certainly not suggesting that there is anything wrong with an induction, but that it is important that you know more about the decisions that you’re making. Here’s an article on inductions for due dates backed by evidence: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-on-inducing-labor-for-going-past-your-due-date/ Do let me know if you’d like to have a little chat too :) You’re doing an excellent job mama and baby is so enjoying his time in there :) well done!

Read more
3y ago

Thank you for your advise. No I’m not considering for induce this time as I got induced twice during my first baby. And it’s so painful. 😭 So was hoping for a natural contraction this time!

Can walk around, do squats and do nipple stimulation. My gynae even advised us to have sex as semen will help to soften the cervix.

3y ago

Thank you! I will try it.